Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 dropping LTE i

My iPhone5, iOS 7.0.4, is periodically dropping LTE connection (and reverting to 3G). LTE is apparently available, because other devices in my hand at the time are showing LTE. When i do a hard reset it usually gets the LTE connection, but i have had to do it several times and its getting on my nerves :c

any ideas?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 7:51 AM

Hi there iLikeCheesyStuff,

You may find the troubleshooting steps in the article below helpful.

iPhone: Troubleshooting a cellular data connection

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3780

-Griff W.

5 replies

Jan 16, 2014 8:53 AM in response to iLikeCheesyStuff

If a local tower does not have sufficient capacity for all of the nearby phones that "want" LTE at any given time the network will fall back to 3G for some phones. As LTE rollout is still in progress this problem will become less common as time goes on. In the US Verizon's LTE is so popular that fallback to EVDO is pretty common. And AT&T and T-Mobile started later than Verizon, so they are likely to have this problem also. Sprint is way behind, because they started with a different 4G technology, and had to switch rather late in the game to LTE.

Jan 18, 2014 12:50 PM in response to amatteo78

Try the following link provided by Griff W

iPhone: Troubleshooting a cellular data connection

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3780

I have done several hard resets and removed and re-inserted the SIM card. The issue seems to have gone away for now. It may have been fixed by the actions i took, or it may have just been an issue with the cellular network that resolved itself. hard to tell.

best of luck

iPhone 5 dropping LTE i

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.