Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad one and it's guarantee! uk only.

hello Apple i have first gen iPad one. Now it does not run many of the apps it used to. This is because you no longer make ios updates as the hardware does not support it. I believe that this constitutes a breach of contract under Uk aw and as such you are duty bound to fix my iPad or replace it, so it will run the apps I need. I have had It less than a year i expected it to be of use much longer. Under Uk law statutory Guarantee lasts For six years . As such Apple must make provision to repair any iPad that does not function according to its original intended use. If this is not possible then a new iPad must be provided to fulfill the requirements under English Uk law.

The warranty states under eu/ Uk law that the fault must exist from the date of manufacture . And as the iPad was not built with sufficient ability to fulfill the six year warranty period I claim a new iPad as it is not possible to make current iPad one ( first generation ) serviceable as intended in the manufacture or for my continued usage up until the warranty expires under Uk law

Who do I take this claim to to get my new iPad ?

Thanks for your help

Dean Scott.

iPad

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 8:07 AM

4 replies

Jan 13, 2014 8:20 AM in response to deanyoda

Please be aware that you are not communicating with Apple when you post in these forums. These are user-to-user support forums, so in almost all cases the only people who will reply to your posts are, like me, your fellow users.

As such Apple must make provision to repair any iPad that does not function according to its original intended use.

You can get the iPad 1 replaced if it is defective. I see no indication, however, that your iPad is defective, only that the developers of the apps you wish to run have upgraded them to be compatible only with later versions of iOS. The iPad 1 does function according to the original intended use. It runs the same version of iOS that it came with, and runs the same apps that it did at that time, which is almost certainly all that was promised when you purchased the iPad. In fact, it functions beyond the original intended use since Apple provided two major upgrades to iOS. Hence any UK law requiring six years of support would seem to have been fulfilled to date.

You will therefore be very unlikely to have any legal claim to make. If you wish to hire an attorney and try to make a claim for a new iPad, though, you are well within your rights to do so, but I very much doubt that you will get anywhere.

Regards.

Jan 13, 2014 8:28 AM in response to deanyoda

The iPad 1 was released in April 2010, and discontinued in March of 2011. If you bought one less than one year ago, then you purchased a product that was already officially discontinued by the OEM and no longer sold directly by the OEM. One year ago from this month, not only was the iPad 1 officially discontinued, but so was the iPad 3 - at this time last year, the only current production models were the iPad 2 and the iPad 4.

Does UK law cover a discontinued product purchased well after the original product manufacturer has dropped it from their product line? It surely cannot cover items purchased as used years after they have been discontinued?

iPad one and it's guarantee! uk only.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.