Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to remove filter from search in Aperture 2

Somehow I've got a filter that limits my search to one particular project, so I'm not searching the whole database anymore. Any ideas on how to remove that one filter? Besides updating to Aperture 3 that is?

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 9:41 AM

11 replies

Jan 14, 2014 6:55 AM in response to janburg

The search is resticted to what you have selected in the inspector. So if you select a project, the search will only apply to that project.

To search your entire library, click the 'Photos' link under the Library section of the inspector. This shows all photos, and then anything you type in the Search box will search all images.

Andy

Jan 14, 2014 7:05 PM in response to janburg

janburg wrote:

when I search for flowers, plural, which I have quite a few of, I see it in the keywords of the 3 images I checked,

That's good, it sounds like search is working.

janburg wrote:

but no images show in the search for flowers. Similarly, when I search for kitchen, there are no kitchen images, but it is a very common keyword.

That's contradictory, I assume you meant flower (singular) ;-)

What I was asking was for you to locate an image of a single flower, that you believe has the keyword flower but which is failing to be recognised by the search for flower. By definition you can not use search for this because the problem we are trying to solve is where 'search is not working'.

So you need to scroll through your photos until you see an image of a flower (for example, or kitchen if it's more common) that has a keyword, I'd then like you to check what the keyword field is showing in the info panel.

Regards,

Andy

Jan 15, 2014 5:50 AM in response to Najinsky

Ok, regardless of what keyword I see in the metadata of an image, when I do a search for that same keyword i see no images pop up. No matter whether it is flower, flowers, kitchen, all of which are keywords seen in the metadata of the image, no images at all ever show up in the search field.

Search used to work for me until a few months ago, but at that time i was too busy to deal with it. Now that I have some time, I need to know if this is an issue that can be fixed, if I need to upgrade to Aperture3 to get it to work, or if I just need to buy a different program. I've been using Aperture since version 1, so I'm not a total newby. It's the database where I find my thousands of digital images from the last 10 years, and if the search function does not work, it means looking up an image is back to the old search by time function, meaning I remember I did that shot about x years ago, and you know how fun that sort of search can be. If I have to upgrade to v3, will the search work on the old library of v2? I'd much rather be assured that search is working in v2 before I upgrade.

Thanks for your patience, but like I said, my problems usually are beyond the norm.

Jan 21, 2014 12:03 PM in response to janburg

To clarify, here's a couple of screen grabs of the situation, one showing the search with no results, and the other with the metadata showing flowers as the metadata keyword.

http://jsphotofx.com/Aperture-search.png and http://jsphotofx.com/Aperture-metadata.png

So how do I get Aperture search to work again. I just reloaded the program from the disk, no change. I've rebuilt the database, no change. What am I missing here? I don't want to have to redo 10 years of database building!

how to remove filter from search in Aperture 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.