Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot save to SMB shares in Pages

This issue is actually occurring ONLY in the iWork applications, Pages, Keynote and Numbers.

User recently upgraded to Mavericks 10.9.1. Has two SMB shares to smb://servername called "Public" and "Company Name".

The two locations are available in Finder as typical network shares in the left-hand pane. You can navigate the Shares, open files, etc. without any issues.

However, if I create a new file in Pages and type some text into the new file and attempt to save it to "Public" or "Company Name", I'm presented with the following error:

"Untitled" couldn't be moved because you don't have permission to access "Public". To view or change permissions, select the item in the Finder and choose File > Get Info.

When I do this, I see the information as "You have custom permissions" which typically indicates an NTFS or ACL related permissions that OSX can't quite read.

This same issue occurs whether i'm in Pages, Keynote or Numbers.

Troubleshooting:

1. Checked and verified permissions were correct on Windows 2003 server hosting the SMB shares;

2. Created new file in TextEdit and attempted to save it to "Public" and "Company Name". File save was successful.

3. Created new user on machine and logged in and performed steps above with Pages, Keynote and Numbers. Ran into the exact same error.

4. Disconnected the shares and reconnected to the server using domain administrator account. Same issues occur regardless ONLY in the iWorks applications. Permissions are fine for navigating location, opening files and saving in any application outside of iWorks.

For now, I have the user performing the following steps:

1. Create new document in Pages, Keynote or Numbers. Edit the document. Save it to the local drive in Documents\Need to Save

2. Within Finder, user goes to Documents\Need to Save and drags the files that need to be on the network to the appropriate location, "Public" or "Company Name".

I'm almost thinking I need to remove and reinstall the iWork suite applications. However, I don't want to perform that step without checking here.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated. Thank you!

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 10:34 AM

3 replies

Jan 14, 2014 11:19 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Peter,

In working with the client, we did find that we could create new documents in the various iWork '09 applications and save them to the SMB shares without any issues. However, since 5.0 Pages, for now, is installed, all applications have been created in 5.0.1, which is the current version on the App Store, and therefore, cannot be opened in Pages '09. When we open Pages '09, we're prompted to upgrade to Pages 5.0. Therefore, we look to still have the issue in saving to SMB shares through the iWorks applications regardless. Especially since the client cannot access any of the current documents in iWorks '09 applications as they were created in the newer application.

Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Jeff

Cannot save to SMB shares in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.