Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Selecting all footnotes at once (version 5.0.1)

I am editing a long paper with hundreds of footnotes. I just downloaded the last version of Pages: 5.0.1. Contrary to the previous Pages versions, now if I try to select all the footnotes at once by using command+A does not work. How can I select all the footnotes at the same time in order to edit the same font for all the footnotes? Thanks in advance.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 12:36 PM

11 replies

Jan 13, 2014 2:22 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thank you Peter but that changes only one footnote.

Let me explain myself better: I have hundreds of footnotes in different pages of the same paper; some footnotes are Helvetica 12 points, others are Tahoma 10 points, etc. What I want is to highlight all the footnotes of the entire document in order to select Times New Roman 12 points instead of editing footnote after footnote. How can I highglight/select all the footnotes at once?

Note: Command+A highlights an entire footnote but not all the footnotes. What is then the command to do that?

Jan 13, 2014 2:30 PM in response to ilffv

How did you manage to have different Styles throughout your document footnotes?

Did you cut and paste material from the 'Net, and elsewhere, without Pasting and Matching Style?

If you have got this far, then create a set style for your Footnotes and apply that to each of the footnotes.

If you had the Footnotes as EndNotes maybe you could select them as one contiguous block of text and apply the style to that in one go.

Peter

Jan 13, 2014 2:49 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Yes, amanzingly, I got that far with my footnotes. However, in my defense, I have to say that in the previous Pages version I could highlight all my document footnotes at once only by clicking twice command+A. So I was very unworried about "losing time" editing my footnotes while writing with the tranquility that I could do that once the paper was over.

I can create a set style for my footnotes but that will only apply for the new footnotes, not for those already written because, again, I do not know how to highlight all the document footnotes.

My footnotes are not Endnotes.

Thanks again Peter.

Jan 13, 2014 2:57 PM in response to ilffv

I am having this same problem and ready to throw myself off a bridge! There seems to be no way how to do this and Pages support is no help whatsoever. I am writing a book, so I have many chapters with hundreds of footnotes that look different in every chapter. Please let me know if you find a solution and I'll do the same!

Jan 13, 2014 3:15 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Unfortunately I don't have Pages '09 in my Applications folder.

I tried the old fashion way: Menu > File > Export > Word

In Word I selected all the footnotes and edited them at once. No problem. Then I copied the whole Word document, open a blank Page document and paste it. And here is another amazing result: it pasted the document without any footnote 😮 😮 😕. So not even doing in this way I can solved the problem.

Definitive Pages 5 needs to fix many things

Jun 1, 2016 8:05 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

For instance, I don't have Pages 09 on my machine because I just bought it, and in mid-2016 MBP they don't pre-install former iWork programs. In the meantime, Pages 5.6.2 is out and they still haven't fixed the many issues that so many unhappy users keep bringing up. Not only did Pages become un-intuitive,it also simply lacks of many basic functions one should expect from a word processor. So frustrating

Jun 1, 2016 10:29 AM in response to alemari

Back in 2014 when the original post was created, there were still substantive numbers of users that still had Pages '09 on their older Macs, even if they didn't realize it as a by product of the original Pages v5 installation.

I wouldn't look further for an excuse to get Office 2016 for Mac, and stop hoping for improvements to Pages v5. Apple has sent a very clear message about their Pages intent after 2.6 years.

Selecting all footnotes at once (version 5.0.1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.