Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iPad says "cannot connect to server" but Settings shows that it is connected to Wi-fi. Another iPad with the same settings can connect to the server. I have switched my router off for 30 seconds and turned it back on but it hasn't corrected the problem

My iPad says "Cannot connect to server" when I open Mail, Safari, and other web based Apps but the Wi-fi symbol at the top left hand of the screen and Wi-fi in Settings show that it is connected to my Belkin router. Another iPad with the same settings works fine so it isn't a router or ISP problem. I wonder if it is a software or hardware problem with my iPad. Can someone give me some advice please? Thank you.

iPad 2

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2014 8:36 AM

I had the same problem.Over several days got this message "could not connect to server".

Tried some of the suggestions from the discussion including power-off but nothing worked.

Than took ipad to another location and signed it in on the different Wi-Fi there.

Yippee! Everything worked again.

And when I went back to home location iPad was working fine and accessed all sites as before.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2014 8:36 AM in response to lesandsue

I had the same problem.Over several days got this message "could not connect to server".

Tried some of the suggestions from the discussion including power-off but nothing worked.

Than took ipad to another location and signed it in on the different Wi-Fi there.

Yippee! Everything worked again.

And when I went back to home location iPad was working fine and accessed all sites as before.

Dec 21, 2015 12:42 PM in response to pwwall

Helle pwwall.

This to be a router problem.

ive had the same for some time now. Very very annoying. But my son told me to change my DNS servers (iPad and iPhone) to Googles. I deleted the DNS that my router gave me automatically, and changed it to 8.8.8.8 which is Googles.

it seems to have worked.

Hopefully it will work for you.

if you want to go back to your router DNS, just 'forget this network' and then reconnect. Your old settings will be back.

Jan 13, 2014 12:55 PM in response to lesandsue

You may not really be connected to your WiFi network.

Your router may not have given your iPad a valid IP address. Go to Settings > Wifi > your network name and touch the ">" to the right to see the network details. If the IP address starts with 169 or is blank then your router didn't provide an IP address and you won't be able to access the Internet.

Sometimes the fix can be as simple as restarting your router (remove power for 30 seconds and restart). Next, reset network settings on your iPad (Settings > General > Reset > Reset network settings) and then attempt to connect. In other cases it might be necessary to update the router's firmware with the latest from the manufacturer's support web pages.

my iPad says "cannot connect to server" but Settings shows that it is connected to Wi-fi. Another iPad with the same settings can connect to the server. I have switched my router off for 30 seconds and turned it back on but it hasn't corrected the problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.