Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 Battery Jumps quickly to 1% and turn-off

Hi everyone,

since a couple of months I have an awful issue with my iPhone 5's battery. I mean when it's discharging and reach about the 25% of battery charge, it jumps (in about minutes) to less than 20% (most of the times 15%), then %13/10 and then it turns off (in about 10 minutes). When I plug in my charger it turns back on immediately and battery percentage points to 20% again. I had a 3GS before this, and I have this one from more than a year but I've never had this kind of problem before. I think it's an hardware problem.

Anyone has suggestions/solutions to fix it? What do you think about?

Thank you in advance to everyone!

Leo

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 2:22 PM

Charge it up to 100% whenever you can. Not charging it up all the way can kill it. If you are having problems, take it to your nearest Apple store.

3 replies

Jan 13, 2014 2:30 PM in response to urbanstyle_87

Hardware is a possiblitly, so is software. I personally suspect the firmware, specifically the part that is designed to protect the battery from a total discharge. The only way to get the firmware back in-sync is to perform a device firmware update known as "DFU."

Connect to a computer with internet access and the latest version of iTunes. Perform a backup first and you should be able to restore from the backup after DFU.

Press and hold both the sleep/wake button and the home button for ten seconds.

After ten seconds, continue holding the home button, but let go of the sleep/wake button.

The iPhone should go dark and you should see a popup on the computer. It should say, "iTunes has detected a device in Recovery Mode. . ." If there is no popup and the iPhone shows the Apple logo, you can immedeately try again. It often takes an experienced user two or three attempts before the device successfully enters recovery mode.

Follow all of the popups and a new version of iOS will be installed. If your issue was firmware, you should feel free to restore from the backup. If the issue returns, that means it was a software issue. In that case, you'll need to do another DFU and restore the iPhone as a new device.

iPhone 5 Battery Jumps quickly to 1% and turn-off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.