Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I was to purchase another iPad what's to say it ends up like iPad 1 and defunct with the latest os ?

I have the iPad 1 , yes its a dinosaur , however it works for me . I was initially disgusted with the inability to go from ios5.1.1 to the following update , but lived with it as my iPad was still accessible for what I needed and used it for . Now a particular app states that I can only use this app if I have 6.0 os or above !

This is completely unacceptable as I purchased the product and now they are telling me that my product works fine , but if you want to use it now , we don't support it .

Surely this is not the case and I am missing something , because I find it difficult to understand and moreso to believe that this would be the case .

Am I missing something , apart from the obvious " haha"

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 2:17 PM

4 replies

Jan 13, 2014 2:21 PM in response to brett liprini

This is the way of the world for all computing equipment...from the Apple II to Macs, from the Atari and Commodore to PCs...every piece of hardware will at some point be surpassed by the software and unable to use the software. This happened with the iMac PPC machines, then the early Intel Macs, all eventually were not able to handle the advances in the operating systems and the demands of the operating systems.

This will happen at some point.

Jan 13, 2014 2:29 PM in response to brett liprini

now they are telling me that my product works fine , but if you want to use it now , we don't support it

No, they're not. The developer of the app is telling you that they no longer support older versions of iOS. Apple still supports the iPad 1; they just can't provide the newer versions of iOS since the older hardware won't support it. Your iPad 1 got two major upgrades of iOS and many new apps from the time it was first released, and that's about all anyone can reasonably expect. Many other manufacturers' devices get few if any major upgrades, even for devices much newer. The HTC One X and One X+, for instance, won't get the new version of Android even though the One X is only 20 months old and the X+ less than a year old, whereas the iPad 1 has been discontinued for almost three years.

Bottom line; if you need to run apps that require iOS 6 or later, you'll need a newer iPad. Otherwise, your iPad 1 will continue to do all it did when you got it and more.

Regards.

Jan 13, 2014 2:33 PM in response to brett liprini

You may be able to get a compatible version of the App that can run on your current version of iOS though.

App Store: Install the latest compatible version of an app

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5919

You will need to download the incompatible App to a newer device or a computer running itunes with the same Apple ID you use on the iPad.

You can then go to the Purchased Tab in the App Store App and follow the instructions in the link to download the compatible version.

With that said no one can say how long Apple will support the newest iPad. As it stands now, the first gen got 2 major OS updates in its lifetiime. Its now an almost 4 year old device with 4 year old hardware specs

You can expect about the same support for the newer iPad. maybe 3 major updates if the iPad 2 is anything to go by. But yes Tech moves on.

If I was to purchase another iPad what's to say it ends up like iPad 1 and defunct with the latest os ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.