Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10 (2013) video imported from tape-based camera not appearing as an event

Hi,

I have successfully used previous versions of iMovie to import video from a tape based DV camera (Sony Mini DV) in the past.

After updating to iMovie 10 today, the camera connects OK and the footage played back can be seen in the iMovie import media window all fine.

I click the 'Import' button and iMovie starts 'recording' footage. This continues fine until I stop the import but then the recorded footage NEVER appears in the event library in iMovie. It just disappears after supposedly being imported.

I have tried the same approach using the built-in iSight camera and it works as expected and appears in the event library immediately after.

What could be preventing the footage from the camera from appearing in the event library?

Should I downgrade to iMovie '11 (2011)?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. 4 GB.

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 3:06 PM

7 replies

Nov 24, 2014 7:48 AM in response to brad001

I'm having this problem also. I had a Mac Pro running Mavericks and iMovie v10.0.5 that would act like it was importing from the VHS/MiniDV deck attached to it but when the import was done there was no video in the event. I tried creating a new library and importing to that but same result. I noticed that while I could see the new library in the user account's Movies folder I did not see an iMovieLibrary.imovielibrary file there. Odd. Then I upgraded to Yosemite but no change. Running repair permissions and deleting the iMovie preference files in the user account's Library folder didn't help either.

So I went to another Mac Pro running Yosemite to test it there. It doesn't have a VHS/MiniDV deck connected to it so I tried using the built-in camera in the Cinema Display and it worked fine. However on this Mac Pro I can see the iMovieLibrary.imovielibrary file in the user account's Movies folder.

So I went back to the original Mac Pro with the VHS/MiniDV deck and did an import from the Cinema Display iSight to the iMovie library in the user account's Movies folder and it worked fine. So the problem is definitely limited to the VHS/MiniDV deck that is connected via FireWire. If I use iMovie v9.0.9 on the same Mac Pro I can import from that deck successfully.

Frustrating! t

Jan 4, 2015 2:58 PM in response to brad001

I have maybe the same issue. I just purchased a new iMac 27", non retina from Apple. I also have a Sony DCR TRV330 DV Digital Video Camera that has a firewire connection. Upon getting the firewire to thunderbolt adapter and the proper cable to connect the camera to the adapter, I tried importing some video from the camera (tapes) to iMovie 10.0.6. It worked great. Was able to control the camera and import nearly 20 year old video and edit it just fine. After a few days of doing this, iMovie has stopped its ability to import the video. I can see the camera through iMovie. I can control the camera through iMovie. I go through the process of importing video: I select Import; I tell it were I want the video imported to; I select Import and watch what is supposed to be importing then hit Stop Import and then Close. No video is imported. I even check the disk usage. Nothing has imported. I have created new Libraries and still nothing. I have nearly 450 GB available space on the destination drive (external) and over 500 GB available on the internal Fusion drive. I have tried seemingly everything. Restarting the computer. Unplugged, powered off and then on the camcorder. Tried different tapes (I have both Video 8 and Hi8 tapes). Nothing works. Again, I can see and control the camera through iMovie but when I select to import and then stop import, there is no video imported. I have done a lot of searching with no solution. I don't know why it worked and then all of the sudden has quit. I hope someone can offer a solution. I don't have previous versions of iMovie so that, for my situation isn't an option.

Nov 8, 2015 5:26 AM in response to Takatalvi

I have exactly the same issue, even down to the same camcorder and 20 year old tapes! I

think the issue might be the tapes. I'd successfully copied across a dozen old tapes when the copy of a new tape just didn't show up in the library. A test with the laptop's built-in camera did produce material in the Events Library, ergo it's something to do with the camcorder. However, putting an old tape back through the process DID produce something in the library again. So the issue seems to be with the tape.

The clue might be in the top right of the preview window - Sometimes it says "No Data From Device" even when there are images playing. Will keep putting those ones to one side, ploughing through the rest and hope something changes.

iMovie 10 (2013) video imported from tape-based camera not appearing as an event

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.