Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An Apple TV, A Time Capsule (or not), and an iPhone...

Ok so basically I want to use a Time Capsule (or something else if you think that would be better) as storage that my iphone can access to airplay to my Apple TV.

Now, I have read that using the Time Capsule in this way isn't recommended, but I if there is a better recommendation out there without using a running OS on a live computer that would be amazing.

I know this is basically a setup for a NAS but I don't feel I am technically savvy enough on my own to choose the equipment knowing for sure it will work for what I want.

If there is anyone out there who has a setup similar to what I'm describing and has some advice I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you again.

🙂

Apple TV, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 5:58 PM

3 replies

Jan 13, 2014 6:14 PM in response to Derekeys

You do realise this cannot be itunes.. moving your itunes library to the TC and trying to play it from iphone is pointless.. it won't work.

If you are using some other media player on the iOS device that plays MP4 or AVI or whatever format your video is in that is fine.. but for most people you must use iTunes... and that means a computer turned on.

Of course if you used an actual media player.. like WD live TV then you can play files directly over the network from the TC... no need for airplay or iphone or anything else. That is because it is a proper player.. the ATV is a streamer.. the Media player has to be in the iphone.. and that is where you will find it difficult. Airplay seldom works well because you have to pick up the files from the TC.. copy them to the iphone.. copy them back to the TC in the airplay stream so it goes to the ATV.. it is going to jitter and pause.. because wireless does not do such things well.

Jan 17, 2014 4:13 AM in response to Derekeys

Update!

For those who have a similar setup to my own, I bought the Time Capsule and am using it as a media server through my iphone or ipad! I am using an app called File Explorer and I couldn't be happier. The Airport has boosted the wifi speed and range in my home and I can now stream any of my media files (including HD video) straight to my Apple TVs!

I hope this helps someone else looking to just stream to their apple tv without a constant running desktop or laptop!

All the best!

An Apple TV, A Time Capsule (or not), and an iPhone...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.