Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nothing works

Nothing works.

It started off with Messages, it froze, I force quit and when I tried to open it again, it kept looping sending error report after error repot but never opening. I tried fixing this with some of the message boards on here but none worked, then I realized it wasn't just Messages not working, but all of my Apple apps. I can't open System Preferences or the App Store (i wanted to see if I could re-install mavericks) and when I downloaded mavericks from the internet, I couldn't install it, I got an error message saying "this software is not supported on your system."

Basically nothing works and I can't update anything. I have insurance with Best Buy until next year but I'm in school right now and 1. I need my laptop and 2. going to a best buy would be a huge hassle.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 9:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 11:31 PM

m1gue1,

if you currently have Mavericks installed, you can try booting into Recovery mode by holding down a Command key and the R key as you start up. When it shows the Mac OS X Utilities menu, select “Reïnstall Mac OS X” and follow the instructions there to reïnstall Mavericks. (I take it that you either have a backup already made, or that you’re not concerned with losing whatever’s currently on your internal disk.)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2014 11:31 PM in response to m1gue1

m1gue1,

if you currently have Mavericks installed, you can try booting into Recovery mode by holding down a Command key and the R key as you start up. When it shows the Mac OS X Utilities menu, select “Reïnstall Mac OS X” and follow the instructions there to reïnstall Mavericks. (I take it that you either have a backup already made, or that you’re not concerned with losing whatever’s currently on your internal disk.)

Jan 15, 2014 12:02 AM in response to Melophage

I was able to reinstall mac os x (mavericks) and when I logged back in, everything was working fine again. My System Preferences works, my facetime works, ibooks, etc.... except my Messages still don't work.

It's giving me the same error message that I had before i reinstalled Mac os x

it says "The last time you opened Messages, it unexpectedly quit while reopening windows. Do you want to try to reopen its windows again?"

Then, whether I clicke "reopen" or "Cancel," it takes me to a problem report page for messages saying it quit unexpectedly, blah blah blah.

Sigh.

Nothing works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.