Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't change read-write permissions on DMG despite ownership

Hey there! So, I recently followed these instructions to create a 20 megabyte, 128-bit encrypted DMG on my hard drive in order to password-protect some confidential documents. I have had no problems opening the DMG or editing its contents, but today I discovered that I am unable to add, delete, or edit its contents, as I receive the following message: "The document "___" could not be saved as "___". The volume “Encrypted” is read only."

I'm able to mount the DMG and open the document, but I can't make any changes. First, I tried changing the permissions on the document itslef; I went to "Get Info," but I discovered that the Sharing & Permissions indicates I (the admin) should be able "Read & Write." I wanted to to tinker with this, so I clicked the lock icon at the bottom of Info and entered my password, but--mysteriously--I can't change the permissions settings, even when unlocked. I click, but nothing happens.

Same thing when I try to change permissions for the whole DMG. It says that I have "Read & Write" permissions, but I can't try messing with these settings even after unlocking.

Now, it's possible that at some point in the last couple of weeks I may have changed the setting of the document to "locked"--I honestly can't remember--but shouldn't I still be able to "unlock" it given my admin status? And even if I compromised that one file, why can't I save any new documents to the DMG?

Any ideas as to how I can return my DMG to true read-write status?

Thanks ever so much!

embr

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 9:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 9:39 AM

Okay, so I figured it out, and it was an "Oh, duh!" moment. Figured I should explain for anyone else experiencing this problem.

The DMG was locked, but I couldn't see this or change it while it was mounted. So, if you encounter this problem, simply eject the disk, then navigate to its location in Finder, Get Info, and uncheck the "locked" option. That did the trick for me!

embr

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2014 9:39 AM in response to embr1739

Okay, so I figured it out, and it was an "Oh, duh!" moment. Figured I should explain for anyone else experiencing this problem.

The DMG was locked, but I couldn't see this or change it while it was mounted. So, if you encounter this problem, simply eject the disk, then navigate to its location in Finder, Get Info, and uncheck the "locked" option. That did the trick for me!

embr

Can't change read-write permissions on DMG despite ownership

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.