Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

S/MIME for iCloud.com emails on iOS (with Comodo certificates)?

I applied for a 2048-bit Comodo certificate for my icloud.com email address. The certificates were delivered in a *.p7s file. They are:

- External CA Root Certificate

- Comodo Certificate

- USERFirst Certificate

- Certificate for my icloud.com email address

I could imported them into my 'login' Keychain on Mac but cannot import them into the 'iCloud' Keychain.

I then exported the certificates one by one into *.cer files and emailed them to myself (@icloud.com) so that I could import them on my iPhone/iPad.

Now I got the certificates under Settings/General/Profiles on iPhone/iPad. Each of them is trusted on iOS.

Message signing/encryption works on my Mac. However if I send myself a message (@icloud.com) encrypted, I cannot read it on my iOS. In the message body it always displays 'This message is encrypted. Install a profie containing your encryption identity to decrypt this message'.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 4:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 5:48 AM

Actually I solved it. We need to import the private key too into iOS.

4 replies

Jan 16, 2014 4:26 PM in response to benichols

I was able to solve it the following way. Make sure that when you export you are in the "login" keychain under "My Certificates". For some reason, my certificate installed into the "System" keychain and for some reason it won't import into iOS. Export the email address to a .p12 file, email it to yourself and open on the iOS device. Worked for me.

May 2, 2014 10:47 AM in response to benichols

I had this exact problem... To export a ".p12" file you need both the certificate and the private key. In my case, when I generated the private key, this was placed in the "login" keychain, but the certificate from Comodo corresponding to this key was installed in the "system" chain. Because my certificate was separated from the private key, the I couldn't export the .p12 file. Moving the certificate from system into login reunited these two, and I could now export the p12 file. Also, I believe that certificates for which there is a corresponding private key appear in the "My Certificates" area, and can be exported.

S/MIME for iCloud.com emails on iOS (with Comodo certificates)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.