Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iphoto from external hard drive, need an easy way to use iphoto manager ?

Have been trying to free up space on my internal hard drive. Have placed entire iphoto library on external hard drive and have checked all photos are there. But cannot use iphoto manager from that location without losing all events and folders (the entire library appears in one window). Don't want to trash the old library until I know I can use iphoto 'as before'. Now have two versions of photo library after I merged everything hoping that would help, so even less space now. Still on snow leopard as haven't enough room for mavericks upgrade! Any ideas that are not too technical, thanks.

imac, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 4:33 AM

7 replies

Jan 14, 2014 7:30 AM in response to lamanuk

hi there, I was trying to clear some of internal hard drive on my imac but the iphoto library manager doesn't seem to work as soon as i put the iphoto library into trash (the one from the mac HD). The photos are on my external HD (i've formatted to journaled) and is working ok but all the libraries are in 'red' on the iphoto library manager as if the photos are missing. thanks, hope that is clear.

Jul 22, 2014 12:59 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terrance.

I see you have responded to a few of these queries. I am hoping you can help me. I copied my iphoto library to an external drive then trashed the iphoto library on the internal drive and emptied trash. The library is gone in finder but hasn't been removed from disk space. I can't rebuild the library as it doesn't exist. The library on the external is working fine but I'm down to a gig on my internal (my external is my Time machine backup too and is nearly full with only a current backup and one older one and the iphoto folder - obviously 750gig not enough for a 300gig internal).

So I have no trace of the deleted internal library but can't recover the space on the internal disk!!!!

Can you help please???

Jul 22, 2014 1:12 AM in response to Bartz

That's not really an iPhoto question, more one about the Finder.

but I'm down to a gig on my internal

Do you mean you only have one gig of free space on your internal drive?

Try use an app like GrandPerspective

http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net

to see what's using up your disk space.

Next:

Having a time machine back up and your iPhoto library on one disk is the same as not having any back up at all. If the disk goes down you lose everything. You need a second disk.

Jul 22, 2014 3:39 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for that, I tried grandperspective and comes out with a 300gig part as sparsebundle and then a lot of very small separate files. I think the iphoto library is hidden in this sparsebundle.

I know I will have to get another external, was just wanting to get rid of the iphoto library so I could free up space on the Macbook but haven't achieved this. I will try and find a Finder Guru but if you have any other ideas I'll be grateful.

Cheers

Steven

Jul 23, 2014 2:55 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terrance,

I couldn't find anything else on this subject. Before bed I opened Disk Utility and verified disk - didn't find anything. Then verified disk permissions - didn't come up with anything so clicked repair disk permissions and let it go while I went to bed.

Opened computer tonight and now the appropriate space is showing on the internal drive. So maybe these processes helped? I have no idea but it might be something you understand and can help the next person with.

Cheers

Steven

Using iphoto from external hard drive, need an easy way to use iphoto manager ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.