11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2014 3:54 PM by Snoozin75
Snoozin75 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have just bought an iPad Air. After backing up my 4th gen ipad, I restored this onto my new Air. I have emails, photos, video downloads, sms, etc. I have iBooks restored but it is empty. I have many epub publications which I have studied & put notes in, which have not been purchased from iTunes. Can I get then from my old iPad to my Air? Please please help.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.4
  • King_Penguin Level 10 Level 10 (110,385 points)

Are the PDFs in the Books part of your computer's iTunes library ? If not then connecting your old iPad and doing File > Devices > Transfer Purchases should copy them over - that will copy PDFs and epubs that are in the iBooks app, not just actual ibooks. You can then try restoring the backup back onto your new iPad, it should be able to copy the epubs if they are in your iTunes library (the contets of the iBooks app isn't included in a backup, it picks the books up from your library).

• Ralph9430 Level 6 Level 6 (16,050 points)

King_Penguin's suggestion of transferring purchases to iTunes on your computer is what I would suggest as well. If you have ever synced to iTunes on your computer all the PDFs obtain prior to that sync should be in iTunes.

• Snoozin75 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you for replying. Please excuse my ignorance, but where will I find this "file" icon? I'm in iTunes on my PC, but can't find it.

It's not an icon, it's one of the menu option on your computer's iTunes when you have a device attached to it

file devices transfer purchases.jpg

If you don't have the menus showing the control-B should get them to show

The menu wasn't showing. But the control- B worked. Thank you

I will try the transfer later

Well I clicked on 'Devices', but none of the four options are lit up or available.

I was quite optimistic about this but I don't think it's suppose to happen

The old iPad is otherwise recognised when it's connected to that computer's iTunes e.g. you can sync content to ti ? You could try a soft-reset of the iPad and/or reboot your computer to see if it then works - to do a soft-reset : press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds (ignore the red slider), after which the Apple logo should appear (you won't lose any content, it's the iPad equivalent of a reboot).

Ok. I've got them on iTunes. How do I now put them on my new ipad? Thank you for your patience

You've got a couple of options, you can either just sync them to it by connecting the new iPad to your computer, selecting it on the left-hand sidebar (you can enable the sidebar via control-S if it's not showing), and then on the right-hand side of the iTunes screen use the Books tab to select and sync them to it :

itunes sync books.jpg

If you have Settings > iBooks > Sync Bookmarks 'on' on both iPads it should copy your notes and highlights between them - from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5557

Wirelessly sync your Bookmarks, Highlights, and Notes with your other devices using your iTunes Store account by tapping Settings > iBooks > Sync Bookmarks > ON.

Or you can try restoring the backup of your old iPad back onto it - now you have the PDFs on your computer's iTunes library it should be able to restore them onto the new iPad.

Backups and restores : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4079

Thank you for your help. All done. Control-S.... Makes such a difference with these menus showing!

THANK YOU