Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How stop ipad from trying to download ios 7

I recently purchased an ipad 4 because I did NOT want ios 7. But every time I turn on wifi, my ipad tries to download ios 7 even though I do NOT hit the button to do so. Luckily, I had selected the option to require my password for downloads (although it still starts to download ios7 when syncing over wifi). Is there anyway to stop this? It's really getting irritating to have to exit out of the password request every time I turn on wifi or losing some space because of partial download during syncing!

iPad, iOS 6.1.3, ipad 4th gen

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 7:31 AM

10 replies

Jan 14, 2014 8:04 AM in response to lllaass

What is your hesitation with iOS7? I was a little hesitant at first, because i was used to and liked the look of iOS6, but it really has grown on me. I have read much discussion and bad comments about it, but i really dont understand the problem with it. I have had no issues (on 5 devices) with it at all and have found parts of it very useful. I have not heard of any problems that are associated with iOS7 in my small circle. If you have not had your own problems with it, i would encourage you to grab a friend's device and take a look. But then if you dont want the update, that's OK too.

Jan 14, 2014 8:05 AM in response to irishelf67

You can fill up your device so that there's not enough room for the update to download. I think if you only have 2 gig or less free then it won't download because it can't.

In Apple's version of the world, everyone should update so there's no setting to disallow it.

If it ever does download, there is no way to delete it. So your choices would be to permanently surrender the space or install it to get the space back.

Jan 15, 2014 6:28 AM in response to iLikeCheesyStuff

I am visually impaired, and even with all visual accessibility options on, I cannot read anything in ios 7 due to the horribly thin font and poor font to background contrast. I can't even tell what most of the icons stand for! For most visually impaired people, ios 7 was a giant step backwards in accessibility, because for us it's not accessible. But even though we have complained about this issue (both here and through feedback) , Apple has done nothing to fix it!

Jan 15, 2014 6:42 AM in response to irishelf67

This issue was espcially in the beginning. There are a lot of threads here that describe what to do, but most of the issues are gone in the latest updates. But still you have to change some settings.

Ask a friend who has iOS7, and read in this article what settings you can try:

http://tidbits.com/article/14122

Then try these settings on his iPhone and see if that is good enough for you. If so, you can update; if not, take care not to update...

Lex

Jan 16, 2014 7:12 AM in response to Skydiver119

Already sent feedback to Apple about the visual impairment issue. Twice. Apparantly the current big wigs at Apple don't care, because many visually impaired people like myself sent feedback about this and have been ignored. So I am staying with Ios 6 as long as I can (which means I'm also not able to use Itunes U because that requires IOS 7-left feedback about that also). As for the person who suggested playing around with settings on someone elses device to see what works, I already did that with a nice gentleman who worked at Radio Shack. They had an ipad air with ios 7 on it, and even after fiddling around with the visual accessibility options, I still couldn't read anything on it and couldn't tell what most of the icons were for (before, you could tell many of them by the picture on them, not anymore-so much for Apple being simpler than other platforms). I guess I'm just stuck closing out the popup box for my password each time I turn on wifi.

Apr 26, 2014 2:48 AM in response to irishelf67

Hello, I don't want to downgrade to ios 7 either. I find it visually appalling, and it's known to render iPad3s, like mine, sluggish. My solution is to use Weblock, an app from the AppStore. There you can block mesu.apple.com, and voila, those unwanted downloads and nagging update pop ups disappear. If you factory reset your device and immediately after block Apple's update servers you can free valuable memory as well. In my case that's a full 3GB!

I am no Apple hater, just like my iPad as it is.

How stop ipad from trying to download ios 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.