Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mixed Up Aperture/iPhoto Unified Library - How to Fix ?

Originally I was using just iPhoto, back when it had a separate library. I then starting using Aperture, also with its own Library. I was elated when Apple went to a Unified library that is now shared by both.

Over time I have imported some photos using iPhoto, so the originals are stored in the library. But I have also imported some files using Aperture, and the way it was set the originals are stored sepraetly from the library.

I noticed when I tried to create a backup Vault that some 13000 are in the Library, while about 700 are not. My question is what do I do now to get them all in the Unified Library and a single vault ? I like using the Import feature in Aperture because it lets me do some processing to all images while being imported but I think it may be causing this issue.

B-T-W

iMac running OS X Mavericks 10.9.1

iPhoto 9.5.1

Aperture 3.5.1

Thanks !

Aperture 3, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 8:26 AM

12 replies

Jan 14, 2014 8:42 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

First off thanks Frank ! For the second item I thought of that but won't that Store Files setting (Aperture Library) put them in the Aperture Library - when the one I'm using in both iPhoto and Aperture says it is named the iPhoto Library ? Confused.

On the first part I'm not familiar with what are are saying. I don't know how/where to create a filter for selecting them, and even if I did then I don't understand what the File -> Consolidate Originals will do with respect to my files and Library ?

Thanks !

Jan 14, 2014 9:08 AM in response to 2aussies

My understanding of your situation is that

You have an Aperture library that has both managed and referenced originals in it and you want to make them all managed, all in the library itself because you wrote

I noticed when I tried to create a backup Vault that some 13000 are in the Library, while about 700 are not. My question is what do I do now to get them all in the Unified Library and a single vault ?

and you are iimporting through Apertture now and not iPhoto because you wrote:

I like using the Import feature in Aperture because it lets me do some processing to all images while being imported

If I am wrong ignore my posts.

When someone writes something like File->Consolidate Originals… it means to run the command Consolidate Originals… out of the File menu.

To create a filter to select all referenced files select the Library tab in the Inspector, then select the Photos icon at the top of the library list. Switch to Browser view

then click the magnifying icon, select Add Rule and ad the rule File Status

User uploaded file

then clcik the checkbox and select Referenced from the pulldown

User uploaded file

Note it you are using Photostreams or sharing on Facebook or Flickr some of the images reported as referenced by the vault command might be from those.

Jan 14, 2014 9:20 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

not really. I'm running the unified library that both iPhoto and Aperture list as the iPhoto Library and I want to be able to use the Import function in both applications eventually.

right now I just want to fix the 700 or so files that the Vault function in Aperture say are not stored in there. I want all my images stored in the unified iPhoto library.

thanks !

Jan 14, 2014 1:33 PM in response to 2aussies

right now I just want to fix the 700 or so files that the Vault function in Aperture say are not stored in there. I want all my images stored in the unified iPhoto library.

Two things to note - the vault is not always precise in counting the images that are not backed up, because of being referenced.

And what about Frank Caggiano's hint:

Note it you are using Photostreams or sharing on Facebook or Flickr some of the images reported as referenced by the vault command might be from those.

Are you syncing with any cloud service? Facebook, Flickr, PhotoSream can easily accunt for 700 "referenced" images.

Jan 14, 2014 2:16 PM in response to 2aussies

do you think this may be the 700 images that the Aperture Vault function says are not in the Library ?

That is possibly. The vault will only include the managed images from your library, and not the versions synced back to the albums from outside. Count the images in your Flickr and FB albums, that you are seeing in the "Shared" section in Aperture's Library Inspector panel.

Have you already tried the smart search that Frank Caggiano described in the second post, to search for referenced image versions in your library, with the smart rule "File Status is referenced"? I strongly recommend to do that search, if you have not already done so.

Your photo library started as an iPhoto library, and it is very easy in iPhoto to make a mistake when importing and accidentally to import as referenced and forget about it, because the option is hidden in the "Advanced" settings. So it cannot hurt, to check, if really all your images are managed as you intended.

Jan 14, 2014 2:47 PM in response to léonie

ok guys, I took both your suggestions and created a filter to select all referenced files. turns out it lists 612 files, about what I am concerned about.

so what do I do now ? are these "referenced" files where the originals are stored outside of the Library and just referenced ?

and if that is the case will the Consolidate Originals for Library command fix the issue by moving the files into the libarary and them make them "managed" like all the rest ?

sorrry for all the ?'s been using this stuff for a while, but not into these kinds of file/lirary details.

thanks !

Jan 14, 2014 3:32 PM in response to 2aussies

so what do I do now ? are these "referenced" files where the originals are stored outside of the Library and just referenced ?

That is what the filter is telling you. There are 612 image versions, where the original files are not in the Aperture library and not backed up in the vault.

and if that is the case will the Consolidate Originals for Library command fix the issue by moving the files into the libarary and them make them "managed" like all the rest ?

That is, what the command is supposed to do. It will move or copy the originals into your Aperture library and make them managed.

If the originals outside are part of other databases, e.g. an iPhoto library, use the option "copy" and not move. You can check, where these originals are stored now, by selecting one of them and using the command "File > Show in Finder". If you find, that they are still inside another iPhoto library, that you want to keep working, use "Copy" and not "Move".

Your referenced originals will probably be showing tiny arrows as badges. You should be able to recognize them by the badges, if you enable badge overlays.

User uploaded file

Mixed Up Aperture/iPhoto Unified Library - How to Fix ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.