Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP/Compressor Export to file - best format?

Following a big family wedding, I was left with the task of editing 5/6 days worth of footage with FCP and the process of 'learning as I go'.

I've managed to import and edit my clips into a sequence and created a DVD for standard definition viewing (HD footage @ 1440x1080).

Now, for backup, I'd like to export the file in HD format. I'm working my way through compressor and it's export options but would like to know, for cross platform viewing, what is the best format to export to? My initial thought was .mp4 but must admit, being very new to video editing on the MAC, its proving to me a further head scratch at the last hurdle of my first major event project.

Any suggestions? Any specifics on Compressor 3 setting exports would be good too 🙂

TO BOARD ADMIN: Forgive me for posting again, original post was in the wrong community category and I can't seem to change or delete that detail from my orignal post.

nJayJ

Compressor, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 9:37 AM

3 replies

Jan 14, 2014 1:01 PM in response to njayj

As to cross-platform, there are never guarantees, but a recent Windows machine should be fine with playing an MP4 H.264. (Some Windows machines should be also OK with .mov H.264.) Are you running 3.0? If so, you would probably be best off by doing this in MPEG Streamclip.

Of course, one tof the easiest cross-platform solutions in YouTube.🙂

Good luck.

Russ

Jan 14, 2014 2:27 PM in response to Russ H

Thanks for the response Russ. The people who would want to view (mostly family members), have iPads, generic tablets and PS3's, so my thought was MP4 as it crops up as a playable format on most platforms.

Yes, I am using version 3. I've just modified DVCPRO HD 1080 setting to match the FPS and resolution of the original clips. I'm hoping this will provide me with some quality retention of the original.

That is true, however my goal is to have as much offline as possible and with multiple HDD's, space isn't much of an issue 🙂

Just tired of waiting for all the clips to render, averaging 8 hours 😮

Jan 15, 2014 7:16 AM in response to njayj

Original clip settings - 1440x1080, 25FPS, Data rate 12.3 MB/sec (all variables according to FCP clip format info)

Compressor output settings:

Name: DVCPRO HD 1080i50 copy

Description: DVCPRO HD 1080i50 with audio pass-through

File Extension: mp4

Estimated size: 169.8 MB/hour of source

Audio Encoder

Format: MPEG4

Sample Rate: 44.100kHz

Channels: 2

Bits Per Sample: 16

AAC encoder quality: high

Data rate: 64 Kbps

Video Encoder

Format: MPEG4

Width: (100% of source)

Height: (100% of source)

Pixel aspect ratio: 0.75

Crop to: Center crop for 1.778:1

Padding: Preserve source aspect ratio

(L: 11, T: 0, R: 11, B: 0)

Frame rate: 25

Frame Controls: Automatically selected: Off

ISMA Profile: 0

Variable bit rate, high quality

Hinted for streaming server with

packet size: 1450 bytes

and packet duration: 100 milliseconds

Enhanced Podcast: Off

Below is the comparison (left - original, right - processed), hopefully it shows in the screen grab but appears to have some quality degraded and some more noise. Any suggestions on how I can ensure the quality is as close to the original as possible? Or am I being picky and this is good enough?

User uploaded file

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nJayJ

FCP/Compressor Export to file - best format?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.