Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Defaulting to Pages 09 after Pages 5 is installed

Now that I have both Pages 5 and Pages 09 installed, how do I make Pages 09 the default for opening docs on my iMac? When I search for files in Spotlight, they auto open in Pages 5 (which I don't want unless I'm sharing with my iPad) even though I created them with Pages 09.

Has anyone else found a path for choosing one as the default Pages? Probably the same sort of issue will come up with Numbers & Keynote. Or do I just need to delete the iWork 5 suite?

If I need to delete, I'll have more questions.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 12:07 PM

This is what works for me. After I installed the new iWork updates I created a folder on an external drive & named it "other applications." I then moved the new iWork apps to this folder & renamed the applications Keynote 6, Pages 5 & Numbers 3. I have icons for two versions of Pages & Numbers (I rarely use Keynote) in my Dock. Even with two versions of Pages & Numbers running, double-clicking an existing file opens in Pages 4.3 or Numbers 2.3. This should also keep the Mac App Store from nagging you to update.

Here is the solution posted by Peter in iWork Tips 'n' Tricks:

Making Pages '09 the default whilst keeping Pages 5

1. Move any new iWork apps in another clearly labelled folder

2. Menu > Apple > System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy > drag the above folder into the list

2) Move the new iWork folder into the trash (temporarily)

3) Select any Pages file in Finder > Menu > Info (cmd+i) > Open with: > Pages '09 > Change all

4) Re the new iWork folder from the trash (right-click > Put back)

Pages 5should no longer appear as a default App, and you won't have to keep a copy in a separate drive or dmg.

IMPORTANT: Make a note of where and how Pages was installed for the next App Store update and temporarily move it back there before putting it away again in the folder concealed from Spotlight.

User uploaded file

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2014 12:07 PM in response to dianaofportland

This is what works for me. After I installed the new iWork updates I created a folder on an external drive & named it "other applications." I then moved the new iWork apps to this folder & renamed the applications Keynote 6, Pages 5 & Numbers 3. I have icons for two versions of Pages & Numbers (I rarely use Keynote) in my Dock. Even with two versions of Pages & Numbers running, double-clicking an existing file opens in Pages 4.3 or Numbers 2.3. This should also keep the Mac App Store from nagging you to update.

Here is the solution posted by Peter in iWork Tips 'n' Tricks:

Making Pages '09 the default whilst keeping Pages 5

1. Move any new iWork apps in another clearly labelled folder

2. Menu > Apple > System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy > drag the above folder into the list

2) Move the new iWork folder into the trash (temporarily)

3) Select any Pages file in Finder > Menu > Info (cmd+i) > Open with: > Pages '09 > Change all

4) Re the new iWork folder from the trash (right-click > Put back)

Pages 5should no longer appear as a default App, and you won't have to keep a copy in a separate drive or dmg.

IMPORTANT: Make a note of where and how Pages was installed for the next App Store update and temporarily move it back there before putting it away again in the folder concealed from Spotlight.

User uploaded file

Defaulting to Pages 09 after Pages 5 is installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.