Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can AirPort Time Capsule ethernet ports be used if it's the extended base of a primary WiFi network?

Looking to use Ethernet ports on extended AirPort time capsule that is part of an existing wifi network. Pre-purchase question.

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 11:14 AM

It will only work as Extend wireless to another apple wireless router. If that is the case then yes, the ethernet ports will work.

4 replies

Jan 14, 2014 11:48 AM in response to WasabiDoobie

Bottom line.....Do not buy the Time Capsule unless you already have another Apple router that is set up to provide the existing wireless network.

If you do have an Apple router providing the existing network.....(we are still not out of the woods yet).....what is the model number of the device that you have?

If you are not sure, look on the bottom of the device. The model number is usually embedded in the foam pad....will be something like A1143 for example.

If everything looks good, remember that the Time Capsule will need to be located where it can receive a very strong signal from your main Apple router. It won't work if it is buried in a cabinet or the wireless signal has to travel through 4-5 walls to reach the Time Capsule

Jan 14, 2014 12:47 PM in response to WasabiDoobie

@LaPastenague@Bob TimmonsThanks for the incredibly fast response... I have the Time Capsule already - had it wired to qwest router. Now need ethernet ports available down in basement office, router is in middle floor. So, wanted to buy airport express, setup as primary / main wireless router, then take existing TC and make that the 'extended' portion of the wireless network in the basement.

From your comments, I gather this should not be a problem as long as I have both apple products (tried to extend to qwest modem and after pulling some gray hairs out, decided to post here...

Thanks!

Jan 14, 2014 12:57 PM in response to WasabiDoobie

It will work, but everything that is connected to the Ethernet ports on the Time Capsule will have to depend on the quality of the wireless "hop" between the AirPort Express and Time Capsule. Frankly, that makes me nervous.

It would be much better if you could connect the AirPort Express and Time Capsule using a wired Ethernet connection.

Keep that wired setup in mind as a Plan B if wireless is not delivering the performance that you need.

This is going to be one of those situations where you won't know if wireless will work for your pupose until you try.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Can AirPort Time Capsule ethernet ports be used if it's the extended base of a primary WiFi network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.