Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 3GS power adapter vs iPhone 5s power adapter

Hello, is there any difference between the A1205 iPod/iPhone USB power adapter supplied with iPhone 3GS and A1400, the simplier and uglier one supplied with iPhone 5s?

I mean, can i use the older one to charge my iPhone 5s?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4, 16GB Gold

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 1:21 PM

8 replies

Jan 15, 2014 4:28 PM in response to svkrzn

The new lightning port on the newer iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touch take up less space on the device allowing Apple to manufacture the newer devices thinner. An advantage of the lightning cable design is that it lets you insert the cable into your iOS device in any orientation. Unlike the standard micro-USB connector and even Apple's 30-pin port, you don't have to eye the port and line up the sides to make the cable fit.

Apple's Lightning connector also can carry up to 12W of power, which is plenty to charge either an iPhone or an iPad (when paired with an iPad 2A charger), just as you could do with the 30-pin cable. This is quite different from the micro-USB connector world of Android devices; there is no standard for conventional USB that supports more than 9W. This means complications for tablets that need 10W; either they need proprietary chargers or they charge at the 5W rate.

Jan 16, 2014 1:55 PM in response to svkrzn

The first reply.

"Regarding the cable no, it has changed to a thunderbolt cable. But the power adapter is the same and can still be used with any adapter."

And your response.

"Was wondering why Apple would have done it? Why changing the old solid design to the chinese looking one with the newer phones...."

How has the current power adaptor changed significantly from the 3GS power adaptor? The only thing that has changed significantly is the cable.

Jan 19, 2014 1:26 PM in response to svkrzn

That isn't what the power adaptor included with my 3GS looked like.

It looked like this, which I still have and use.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2008/09/19/apple-recalls-millions-of-iphone-3g-power -adapters/

Looks identical to the power adaptor included with my personal iPhone 4S, iPhone 5S, and business iPhone 5.

http://www.apple.com/power-adapters/

What country are you from?

iPhone 3GS power adapter vs iPhone 5s power adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.