Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP 7 & AVCHD video

What is the best way of loading AVCHD video and have it all work smoothly in FCP7? I've been told it is not possible and the best thing is to switch to Adobe Premiere. Thoughts?

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 12:43 PM

15 replies

Jan 14, 2014 12:54 PM in response to KevinFredericton

FCP uses LOG AND TRANSFER to convert the footage to ProRes.

Step 1: Archive the SD cards to a drive that is NOT your media drive. This should be an archive drive where you store all your shooting masters

Step 2: Use Log and Transfer to convert the footage to ProRes 422, and import it into FCP.

I have a workflow tutorial here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhDnyWFAM10

Jan 14, 2014 1:10 PM in response to KevinFredericton

Media drive is where you store your imported/converted MEDIA...your footage. Your project should not be on that drive...it should be on the SYSTEM drive. But you can back up the project to the media drive. And yes, you should have a completely different drive/set of drives where you archive your camera masters.

The point of all of this is safety. If your OS drive fails, you still have your media, and a backup of your project on the media drive. If the media drive fails, you have your project still, and all of your camera originals so that you can reimport and rebuild your project.

When we shot tape...we kept the tapes. Now that we are shooting tapeless, you don't keep the recording media, those SD cards. You re-use those. But you should be backing them up...archiving all the media like you did with tapes...thus the archive hard drives. If your camera masters and imported media are on the same drives, and they die...ALL is lost.

Jan 14, 2014 4:31 PM in response to KevinFredericton

KevinFredericton wrote:

So then are you also saying the new or re-introduced version of FCP7 does support AVCHD 1080 60p?

There is no new or updated version of FCP-7. FCP-7 was abandoned by Apple several years ago. There is FCP-X, which is completely different software, that is based on a completely different editing paradigm. The only thing it shares with FCP -7 is the "FCP" name. It does, however, support all the current flavors of AVCHD and most other modern video codecs.

MtD

Jan 14, 2014 5:04 PM in response to Shane Ross

OK - so I shoot with an NX-70 Sony can you tell me then which codec should I be recording in that will work best with FCP 7 and still have a broadcast quality? Right now I have it set on 1080/60i FX (highest quality), but I have the choices of 1080/60i HQ, 1080/60i FH 1080/60i LP, 1080/60p PS, 1080/24p FX, 1080/24p FH, 1080/30p FX, 1080/30p FH, 720/60p FX and 720/60p FH?

Or does none of this matter if it is being transfered using ProRes 422?

KW

Jan 14, 2014 5:20 PM in response to KevinFredericton

It very much matters. What is the end use of the video? Do you want to shoot progressive or interlaced footage? What frame rate do you want to work in?

To work in FCP-7, ingested via Log and Transfer, you could choose any of the frame rates other than 1080 60p PS. Choose 1080/60i FX if you want the footage interlaced, 1080 30p FX or 1080 24p FX if you want the footage progressive.

If you need the 60 progressive frame rate, you can use the 720 60p FX, but your image witll be the 720P 1280x720 instead of 1920 x 1080.

MtD

Jan 14, 2014 6:01 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Yes - I do understand the frame rates etc.. since I did start in this biz with 16mm film then every video format known to mankind, it was when it started to go digital that I started to loose it.

Anyway - OK - so I am shooting the 1080/60i FX which should be compatible without problems. But back to the drives for storing the original media - I have the Pegasus 4R now should I keep this as my project FCP imported media drive AND then buy a separate drive for backing-up the original media - the original recorded media from the flashcards, and if so what would you recommend for a drive, make, model, etc.. say large enough to store 100 hours of original material?

Jan 14, 2014 6:14 PM in response to KevinFredericton

My workfow is to ingest the files from the camera media via Log and Transfer, then make back up copies of the ingested media on two separate back up drives. One set of the backups go in a fireproof safe. Since these backup copies are not going to be used in editorial, they don't have to be as fast as your Thunderbolt Pegasus Raid. How much capacity does the Pegasus have?

I use removable drives in a Burly enclosure for the back-ups, it lets me add additional drives as needed and load them up for use on a per project basis:

http://www.macgurus.com/store/Item/BurlyPMU

MtD

FCP 7 & AVCHD video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.