Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to Increase Windows 8.1 Bootcamp Partition

I need to increase my Windows 8.1 Bootcamp partition,

but when I go into the Disk Utility on my Late 2013 iMAC 27inch with Mavericks, there is no bottom right 'edge' to click to decrease the size of the MAC drive. It is not 'click-able'. Is there a solution? The fields to enter a size are grayed-out and I can't type in the field.

I am the only user and have admin rights to the computer.

I've also successfully loaded Windows 8.1 via Bootcamp.

Need to increase the size since I set it up with 'only' 100GB of space.

I'm trying to avoid deleting the Windows Bootcamp partition and starting over.

Videos I've seen show the MAC Drive box having the ability to scale up and down by clicking and dragging the size of the drive up or down.

I cannot do this. There is no edge to click.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 1TB Fusion Drive, Nvidia GTX 780M

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 1:13 PM

6 replies

Jan 14, 2014 1:32 PM in response to DGiudice

The Bootcamp makes a partition, could be you'd need to modify the partition with it. I know that you can remove a partition in Bootcamp and that works, when trying to do so and free up that drive space with OS X doesn't always do the desired result when that outcome is needed.

You may need to look into the portion of the Fusion drive where you have the Windows/Bootcamp partition to see if there is enough room; that is increasingly hard to tell because there is a ton of stuff in "Other." And most of it would be for the Mac OS X. This may be on the SSD portion of the drive, not the HDD section.

When you create a partition in OS X, that is usually what you'd use to change it. But with Bootcamp, that makes it a different matter. There may be a way to use Disk Utility, but you may have to hope for a better answer that won't erase what you have; unless you have made a good backup clone just in case it gets out of hand.

If you do use Disk Utility from the OS X Utilities on the recovery portion of the drive, it may really go-to-town and mess up stuff. But that is at a different level than the Disk Utility in the running OS X.

There is a third-party utility I'd read about that can resize a Windows partition in a Mac without erasing it first; says it is Mavericks-ready. A post I saw it in was last years w/ an older OS X question... says under $20.

Check how to resize a Windows volume without erasing the volume, w/ Paragon Camptune X: http://www.paragon-software.com/downloads/camptune.html

And then, there is iPartition: http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iPartition.php

Maybe this will help. Just be sure you have a backup.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Need to Increase Windows 8.1 Bootcamp Partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.