Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is My Document Held Hostage?

I'm using Pages '09 Version 4.3 (1048). A document I saved and put in a folder now won't open. I get a graphic saying I need a newer version of Pages to open. Must I buy the version? Or is it a free update? How did my document get hijacked into a version I don't even have?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 1:28 PM

11 replies

Jan 14, 2014 2:26 PM in response to vball5153

Sounds like it is now a Pages 5 document, which happens if you opened it and saved it in Pages 5 or on an iPad in iOS7 or via iCloud.

Have you chacked to see if you have 2 versions of Pages on your Mac?

Pages 5 should be in your Applications folder.

Pages '09 should be in your Applications/iWork folder.

Pages 5 can Export the file back to Pages '09 format but may alter/damage the file.

Peter

Jan 14, 2014 3:04 PM in response to vball5153

This sounds like what's happened to me except I now cannot edit, rename, or save my documents on my iMac. It forces me to make a duplicate, but even when I duplicate (as told to in the pop-up graphic) I still cannot do anything and am "Denied Permission". My documents appear to be all 'locked' and they won't be unlocked as, again, I am "Denied Permission". What is going on?

This happened right after a graphic popped up for what appeared to be an update for Pages when I went into my Pages documents, the other day. A Pages 5 icon (apparently not an actual update but a to-be-paid-for upgrade, so don't be fooled) then appeared on my dock. After reading the reviews of how horrible Pages 5 is, I decided I wanted this Pages 5 icon out! Since I didn't buy it, I thought it couldn't have gotten into my system. So I shut it down and I thought my Pages would default back to '09 4.3, but instead I've now got this new problem of not being able to do anything with my documents '09 4.3. This is entirely unacceptable!!!!

This may be a different problem than vball535's problem but it does appear that my documents have been hijacked too. Too much of a coincedence that it came right after a near-miss with Pages 5.

Jan 14, 2014 3:27 PM in response to SecondMama

You didn't have a near miss. It sounds like you actually installed Pages 5.

Pages 5 is in your Applications folder.

Pages '09 is in your Applications/iWork folder.

The problem with Permissions is a different issue and possibly due to you having upgraded your system to OSX 10.9 Mavericks.

Mavericks now lets you know if you are saving to a folder where UNIX (the operating system) determines that you do not have permission to write. This is part of the security in the system. It should let you override the permissions. It is more of a warning. Unfortunately one of those warnings that happens so often you automatically override it ever time you see it.

Unless you have a totally new Mac you may be better not having either Mavericks or Pages 5. Particularly Pages 5 which is a real downgrade from the previous Pages '09.

You can compress (Archive) Pages 5 and not have it bother you. You should also turn off Automatic Updates in your System Folder.

This is an example of features that are supposed to help people who do not really understand their computer being more hinderance than help. You have had things change on you without your knowledge then cause problems you never had.

Peter

Jan 14, 2014 4:06 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

PeterBreis0807,

Thanks, your response appeared as I sent my reply off. It appears that any document I put into iCloud in the past couple days is now a Pages 5 document. So basically, my documents have been converted for a program I have not chosen to download. I don't remember paying for it??? I am really annoyed about this!!!😠

After checking my Applications, I found that Pages 5 is indeed in my system (Pages 9 is still there too). I could not delete it as many of my files were inadvertently saved as Pages 5 documents. When I tried to seek out those 'corrupted' (Pages 5) documents to convert them back to Pages '09 4.3, I found I cannot keep the original names of the documents and now have to to save them into a newly renamed folder. And you also mention that we risk damaging the file if we convert it back.....

So I not only have to (try to) convert all my 'shanghai-ed' files back to Pages 9, I have reorganize, and rename them too and risk having them get messed up...Looks like I may have to consider switching to Word. Until then, will I have to avoid using iCloud and go back to using memory sticks???

This is a nightmare. 😠

Jan 14, 2014 6:17 PM in response to vball5153

Hi Peter,

Oh, crap. I didn't know that the name of it 😝 ! Just always known it as OSX 10.9! My hard drive needed to be replaced recently and that's what the Apple folks installed.

Yes, I had downloaded a Pages document from iCloud.

You mentioned that Pages 5 can be compressed/archived to make it less troublesome? Is that difficult? I have a friend coming over to help me with this.

Thank you for your help. I just realized you're writing from Australia. Hope its not too late or early for you!

Jan 14, 2014 10:25 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Indeed! Funny and helpful!🙂

I've since had a friend fix my problem. Pages 5 is still in my system but locked away in a deep dark dungeon where it will not see the light of day until Apple sees fit to make it a program equal to that of Pages '09 (sorry for the dungeon reference, I'm reading 'Game of Thrones'). May be a long wait. My documents will now default to Pages '09. I still have to export back a whole bunch of Pages 5 documents back to '09, but I am less freaked out, which is a good thing -so my family is saying.

I have been reading the reviews (and will soon add my own) in the app store about Pages 5 and my heart goes out to those who have suffered such as I. I think of that poor teacher who very regretfully deleted his Pages '09 only to discover that the essential features he had previously used are now gone. He's now, unhappily, turned to Windows.

Thanks for your help and humour, Peter!

Is My Document Held Hostage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.