Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I have to reboot my MBP all the time because bluetooth becomes unresponsive and my keyboard stops working?

Rebooting isn't really a solution if you ask me.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 2:04 PM

1 reply

Jan 16, 2014 12:35 PM in response to pzampino

Hello pzampino,

I would be concerned too if my Bluetooth on my MacBook Pro was frequently disconnecting. I recommend following the steps below of the issue you described:

1. Download and install the latest software for the device
    Some Bluetooth devices require you to install software before you can use them with your Mac. Make sure that you've installed any required software or that you're using the latest software available for the device on your computer. Check the device manufacturer's website for the latest updates and more information. For help with syncing a Palm OS device with your Mac over Bluetooth, see iSync 2: How to sync a Palm OS device over Bluetooth.
  2. Check for a Bluetooth update
    To check for new software, choose Software Update from the Apple menu (make sure that your computer is connected to the Internet). If newer Apple Bluetooth software exists, Software Update will prompt you to install it. To install an update, select the checkbox next to the software name and then click Install.
  3. Reduce potential signal interference
    Because Bluetooth works by transmitting signals through the air, some things can interfere with connections. Avoid situations in which metal objects come between your device and computer. Don't put your computer under a metal desk or in a metal cabinet. Keep your computer away from cordless phone base stations, microwave ovens, and other electrical devices that operate on a 2.4 GHz bandwidth. Make sure that your device and computer aren't more than 30 feet apart from each other.
  4. Restart your computer
    Sometimes a simple restart of your Mac is all it takes to get things running smoothly again. You may also want to try resetting your computer's PRAM and NVRAM.
  5. Reset your Bluetooth device
    Try turning your device off and then on again. If that doesn't resolve the issue, see if you can reset your device—refer to the documentation that came with your device for instructions.

These are steps 6-10 in the "Top troubleshooting tips" section of the following article:

Bluetooth Quick Assist

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1153

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Why do I have to reboot my MBP all the time because bluetooth becomes unresponsive and my keyboard stops working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.