Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

videos in safari? google as default browser app?

I often get links to videos in emails that I can not see if I click on the link. It invariably goes to Safari and tells me some excuse for not being able to see it. If I am able to figure out the URL, I cut and paste it into my Google browser app and it works fine .

1) How can I set Google as my default browser?

Or

2) How can I get Safari to display All videos (not just QuickTime videos)?

Thanks,

Ellen

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 2:01 PM

4 replies

Jan 14, 2014 2:09 PM in response to EllenBe

It isn't QuickTime videos. QuickTime is just a video player that supports a number of open standard formats.

There is no default browser selection and if these links work to view the video in the Google app, the videos are provided by the website in an open standard format supported with the iPhone. The browser should not make any difference.

If you copy and paste the URL in Safari instead of using the hyperlink included with the email, is the video viewable that way?

What is the excuse provided for not being able to view the video when using the hyperlink included with the email.

Jan 14, 2014 3:59 PM in response to Allan Sampson

no, copy / paste of the URL into Safari doesn't work. Also many of the don't provide the URL, just a text hyperlink. But to confirm the answer to your question, trust me, I tried the **** out of Safari before finally giving up and going to Google and no, the URL cut and pasted does not provide any different results.

I get to the page and then tap the arrow to play the video and the screen goes black and says "This video is currently unavailable. Learn More". Then you click Learn more and it says that the poster removed the video or it will be available later. It never is available later unless I use The google browser app as my browser.

What I'm saying about QuickTime is that the only videos that play for me through safari start by showing a quick time logo. The guy at verizon said that Safari will only play QuickTime on the iPhone. I had never heard that and thought that I used to be able to play videos before getting the iPhone 5c with ios7.

Jan 14, 2014 5:37 PM in response to EllenBe

What I'm saying about QuickTime is that the only videos that play for me through safari start by showing a quick time logo. The guy at verizon said that Safari will only play QuickTime on the iPhone.

The guy at Verizon is wrong.

Check this link for the various media formats supported by the QuickTime player.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3775?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I watch videos with Safari on a regular basis at various websites and most of the videos do not have the QuickTime logo, but the videos are provided in an open standard format that is supported with iOS and Safari.

Anything the Google app supports with iOS, Safari does as well. Let me guess - the hyperlinks are for YouTube videos? If so, this video is currently unavailable message is a ploy by Google which owns YouTube. When visiting YouTube with Safari, the website detects you are using a mobile version of Safari - with an iOS device, and Google copied Apple with iOS the best they could with android, so they are competing against one another. If the video were truly unavailable at the present time, you wouldn't be able to watch the video with Google's app either.

Have you installed Google's free YouTube app? That may help. Google would prefer you use their YouTube app and or their app providing website access than use Safari.

Jan 14, 2014 11:29 PM in response to Allan Sampson

I do have the youtube app but what I am trying to do is click on a video hyperlink in my apple iphone email and have the video play. Are you suggesting that what I need to do is delete the google app and the youtube app to make it work in safari from my email link?

Again, I'm simply trying to watch the video. I am not always able to find the URL because sometimes they just say "click here".

I understand from what you describe, google is playing dirty.

If I get good functionality from my iphone than Apple still wins in my book, I am an all Apple user. But I need good functionality.

Do you work for Apple?

videos in safari? google as default browser app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.