Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Custom folder icon not showing

I'm trying to customize a folder icon by copying the desired image, going to the folder info, selecting the default folder icon and pasting. It accepts the image file, however does not show the image. Any suggestions?

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Retina display

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2014 10:08 AM

glndi,

Try this with the folder on the desk top, drag the image you want to be the folder to the desk top.

Launch Preview, and under file select open and open the image from the desk top.

Then press COMMAND A, then press COMMAND C.

Then highlight the folder and press COMMAND I, in the upper left corner where the folder icon is click it once to highlight it, then press COMMAND V.

Hope this helps

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2014 10:08 AM in response to glndi

glndi,

Try this with the folder on the desk top, drag the image you want to be the folder to the desk top.

Launch Preview, and under file select open and open the image from the desk top.

Then press COMMAND A, then press COMMAND C.

Then highlight the folder and press COMMAND I, in the upper left corner where the folder icon is click it once to highlight it, then press COMMAND V.

Hope this helps

Jan 14, 2014 3:09 PM in response to glndi

Have you tried a Spotlightlight search to have it show you the path?

If it is a hidden folder?

You can try this:

Show all Invisible files:

Enable Finder to Show Invisible Files and Folders

Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder. At the prompt enter or paste the following command line then press RETURN.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

To turn off the display of invisible files and folders enter or paste the following command line and press RETURN.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

Jan 17, 2014 3:25 PM in response to glndi

It took a while to figure it out, but a long time ago I helped someone have to save a PDF and submit it for a jpb application and thought for a bit and I am pretty sure that it had to do with Preview not turning it to show as a .jpeg.

It had me scratching my head for a while, and then "HEY try using Preview to change it"

It freaked me out when it worked for me, so I figured it should work for you. I am glad that it did! (Iwas thinking too complicated...DOH!)

Thank you for the check,and glad it helped you.🙂

SJP

Custom folder icon not showing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.