Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Album artwork not showing up

I subscribe to iTunes Match through iCloud. I noticed that when I load the album artwork on my iMac, some of it does not get transferred to my MacBook (and vice versa) and iPhone, while others do. What is the reason?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 3:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 5:49 PM

iTunes "Downloaded" artwork is the culprit. Most times, when you download iTunes artwork, it ISN'T embedded in the MP3. iTunes does this to save space, but the artwork will usually only show up on the same system and under the same user account it was downloaded to.

It's a real pain if you use DJ software that has the ability to show album art for playing tracks, and it isn't there.

Or.. as in this case, you export it to a device and it doesn't appear.

I just went through my entire library yesterday with MPFreaker, and "embedded" artwork into every track that didn't already have it.

It's $10, but you can download a fully functional trial. http://www.lairware.com/mpfreaker/

Now when I play anything with DJay, it shows the artwork.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2014 5:49 PM in response to Brooklyn Lion

iTunes "Downloaded" artwork is the culprit. Most times, when you download iTunes artwork, it ISN'T embedded in the MP3. iTunes does this to save space, but the artwork will usually only show up on the same system and under the same user account it was downloaded to.

It's a real pain if you use DJ software that has the ability to show album art for playing tracks, and it isn't there.

Or.. as in this case, you export it to a device and it doesn't appear.

I just went through my entire library yesterday with MPFreaker, and "embedded" artwork into every track that didn't already have it.

It's $10, but you can download a fully functional trial. http://www.lairware.com/mpfreaker/

Now when I play anything with DJay, it shows the artwork.

Jan 14, 2014 6:39 PM in response to Brooklyn Lion

Brooklyn Lion wrote:

But how come some artworks that I cut-and-paste on one device do appear on another?

Cut and paste "Embeds" it. Downloading it from iTunes, doesn't. It attaches via XML link to the original file in your iTunes Album Artwork folder. When you transfer it to another device, the artwork can't show because it's doesn't go along with the MP3. The other device can't find the artwork because it's still on the original source device.

Jan 15, 2014 6:54 PM in response to Brooklyn Lion

Brooklyn Lion wrote:

So if I understand it correctly, cut-and-paste embeds the artwork. Yet some of the cut-and-paste artworks get transferred to other devices and some do not. If they're embedded, shouldn't all of them transfer?

Sometimes (at least I've seen it a few times) cut & paste will add a second copy of the artwork but the downloaded (not embedded) remains the default, so it still won't show, because the embedded is a secondary.

Album artwork not showing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.