Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10.0.1 - Graphics Card Issue (Corrupt Video)

Is anyone else experiencing corrupt video within the latest release of iMovie (10.0.1) on OS X Mavericks 10.9.1. I am running an iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 8 GB of 1067 MHz DD3 RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB graphics card.

For some reason, iMovie 10.0.1 works totally fine for about 5-6 minutes. No matter what intensity I am editing at, after a few minutes, the iMovie playback window goes all pixelated similar to corrupt video playback. Moving the iMovie window around only makes things worse and the computer can no longer update that section of the monitor. Force Quitting and restarting iMovie doesn't work. In the end I have to restart the entire computer for the Graphics Card to correct itself. The next time it happens I will post an image of what I'm talking about.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 11:58 PM

5 replies

Jan 15, 2014 4:43 AM in response to 2 Time Olympian

I get occasional redraw errors over parts of the iMovie 10.0.1 window but the issue is only cosmetic since they are only transient and do not stop or interfere with movie processing. They occur when the processors are under heavy load.

I am using 2 moniitors (2560 x 1440 via Display port and 1920 x 1080 via HDMI) so the graphics card is being worked near its limit apart from its use by iMovie for rendering. Using only the 1920 x 1080 monitor it doesn't happen.

It never occurred with iMovie 9 and it very occasionally occurs with FCP 10.1.

Mac Mini mid 2010 with 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo and 8 GB of 1067 MHz DD3 RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB graphics card

Geoff.

Jan 22, 2014 2:59 AM in response to 2 Time Olympian

I've also had worsening problems since I upgraded to iMovie 10.0.1: very flaky, with lots of spinning wheels and crashes, particularly when I try to add stills or clips to the timeline. Often a strange tiling effect when it crashes. I also often get green or blank screen displays for clips and stills inserted. Very frustrating!

I'm running the latest version of OS X Mavericks 10.9.1. Everything else is running fine.

Could it be the age of my iMac: mid-2007? I upgraded the memory cards to 4Gb a couple of years ago. In terms of storage I have 250Gb on my hard disk, with 26 Gb currently free.

Apr 5, 2014 2:16 AM in response to rego312

Slow start-up (30 - 40 seconds) is normal. I think, like myself, you are using a Mac which is barely fast enough to run it well. 4 GB RAM is also marginal (according to Mactracker you can actually have 6 GB on your machine but its probably not worth doing on such an old machine). It is also helps to have your iMovie libraries on a large 7200 rpm external disk connected by Firewire 800. If you don't already have this it may be worth considering since you can still use it if you get a new machine (best to get a drive with USB3 as well as Firewire interface).

Geoff.

iMovie 10.0.1 - Graphics Card Issue (Corrupt Video)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.