Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

google safe browsing service is unavailable

Google safe browsing service is unavailable and has not been updated for 7 days. I've searched from the apple forum/communities and could not find a proper solution.

My MBP's running Maverick and I've installed "ClicktoFlash" extension. I've also ask around my friends and they do not have such a message like mine.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 2:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 1:42 PM

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari ▹ Preferences ▹ Security

and uncheck the box marked

Warn when visiting a fraudulent website

Then check the box again. Wait a minute or so and test.

17 replies

Jan 15, 2014 2:55 PM in response to VanSheldor

Boot in safe mode. This will cause certain caches maintained by the system to be rebuilt.

Safe mode is much slower to boot than normal.

When the login screen appears, reboot as usual (not in safe mode) and test. There's no need to log in while in safe mode.

Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t boot in safe mode. In that case, ask for instructions.

Sep 19, 2014 5:20 AM in response to VanSheldor

How To Fix: "Google Safe Browsing Service is Unavailable" Error in Safari

1. Open the Terminal.

2. Then type, "sudo su -", put your user password.

3. Type in: find / | grep -i "SafeBrowsing.db"

4. Delete the SafeBrowsing.db file found. This will force Safari to rebuild the file.

5. This should fix the problem. But check back again, a few days later, and see if there are no more errors. *Note, the file doesn't seem to be updated every day.

google safe browsing service is unavailable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.