Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airdrop is flaky

Yep, that's a technical term. I was expecting to just turn on Airdrop on my iPad Air and iPhone 5S and then transfer some photos. 40 minutes later, I think both devices relented to my persistence and let me do it.

A summary of my path to success:

Turn Airdrop on both devices (using "Everyone")

Select photo to share.

Wait for the Airdrop icon to turn into the name for my iPad Air on my iPhone.

Wait some more.

Wait some more.

Wait some more.

Read articles that swear Airdrop doesn't work if also connected to a wifi network.

Disconnect from my wifi network on both devices (using Forget this network), thinking this doesn't seem right, wouldn't Apple tell you that?

Try again. Nope.

Hard reset both devices.

Nope.

Repeatedly turn off and on Airdrop.

Nope.

Read more articles. No help.

Hard reset both devices again. Nope.

Curse a bit.

Read support threads here. Plenty of folks having same issues. No help.

Open up my Contacts App on the iPad and double check I have an entry in there that should show up on my iPhone to initiate the transfer. Yep, sure do.

Try to share a photo again. After a moment, the Airdrop icon turns in the name for my iPad. Could this be...

It works like it should. After 40 minutes of the above.

Just for grins, as I'm a glutton for punishment, I now reconnect both devices to my home wifi network, leaving everything else the same.

Share another photo with Airdrop, no problem.

Now think "I have no idea why it works now, but I hope both the iPhone and iPad both learned how to Airdrop so I dont' go through this again."

Any wizards out there know what happened?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 6:13 AM

6 replies

Oct 21, 2014 10:06 AM in response to mikeindc

I think this may be a fairly common but intermittent problem. I have spent three days with Apple support on this. Finally, I got connected and felt really good: an hour later it isn't working again. At this point I am going to go through every combination of settings (and the order they are applied), to see if that is the problem. If not, then there may be some unrecognized problem that randomly affects Airdrop.

Feb 21, 2015 5:28 PM in response to Apocalyps0

Same for me. AirDrop has always been flaky in my experience, sometimes working, sometimes not; it usually recognises the other device, sometimes with a delay, but then invariably once you tap on the others evict to initiate a transfer, it sits there waiting for a response indefinitely, with nothing on the other device Indicating an initiated transfer. Something goes wrong in the on handshake it seemms; I have read nothing about ports that need to be opened on my router, and it does work intermittently, brilliantly when it does, so it isn't blocked.

usually I will give it a go to see if it has been fixed in an update, I let it sit for a short while, I may cancel the transfer and try once more, then just open up Photosync on both devices, at least it works reliably every time. For now, as I am still on 10.9 on my Mac, I either use Dropbox or Photosync transferring between I-device and Mac. Occasionally Transmit, a great app. But it is less visual, you just have a list of files and destinations.

So basically, I don't let it get to me, I try it, and move on to something that works if it fails. It should "just work", but doesn't just yet, sadly. I can't rely on Photosync or iCloud Photos just yet either.

Apr 21, 2015 1:12 PM in response to Apocalyps0

To call Air Drop "flaky" has to be the biggest understatment I have ever heard! While I haven't kept a record, I'd hazard a guess that, if I'm succesful at getting my devices to even recognize each other (a miracle in itself), I am only able to succesfully transfer a file maybe 1 in 10 tries. That's considerably less than pure chance! So why do I keep trying it you might ask? Well, if it worked reliably it would be SO much easier than any other method for copying files from one device to the other that I guess the optimist in me just kicks in every once in a while (plus a certain morbid curiosity to see if Apple has deigned to fix this, though after over a year of reported problems that's looking less and less likely)

I guess Dropbox (or your third party cloud drive of choice) is still the best game in town.

Airdrop is flaky

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.