Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My podcast won't open. Quicktime/iTunes error message.

I just tried to open one of the podcasts to which I subscribe only to get an error message saying that it requires Quicktime which is not supported by this version of iTunes. I checked and the iTunes is the most recent version. I have Quicktime on board as well. So I have no clue how to open this podcast now. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Gretchen

MacBook (13-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 4:58 AM

5 replies

Jan 21, 2014 5:52 PM in response to gianic

Thanks for your response. I took the laptop to the Genius Bar and tried four times to open the podcast on my computer and twice on my iPod and they both worked without a hitch. The only thing they could come up with was that the server may have been having issues and they got them fixed.

Thanks again for your advice.

Jan 22, 2014 9:28 AM in response to aagltau

I too was at the Genius Bar last night for another issue and asked about the podcast problems... Here's the response/explaination I received.

- It is not that iTunes does not support QuickTime, but rather that their is and error in the file being served. We went to the suspect file's website to see if we could watch the video there... low and behold we could. The video was Flash based, therefore iTunes cannot play the video.

Not sure that it helps any, but it looks like it might be an issue on the side of the podcast creator?

Apr 9, 2014 8:23 AM in response to aagltau

Hello,

I just triaged and fixed this issue for the podcast service we're running.

Wherever you're getting the itpc:// link from likely has all of the Quicktime files referenced with spaces in the URL... at least this is what the problem was for our podcasts. Once I added %20 to the empty spaces in the URL path in the target XML file that iTunes references and overwrote it on the server, everything started downloading and parsing with no hiccups.

You may need to reach out to whoever is formatting the XML to change the spaces. I believe you can do some code where you declare the link in a URI syntax. If you search stackoverflow's site, you'll find it.

Hope this was helpful.

My podcast won't open. Quicktime/iTunes error message.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.