Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod nano has been detected but can not be identified properly. windows 8.1

Hi,

At the start of this week I plugged in my ipod nano 6th gen and attempted to uplod some songs when I got the error stating that the device has been recognised. but cannot be identified correctly.

I've tried all the troubleshoot options such as uninstalling the driver, i've changed the driver letter from F to Z. Ive reinstalled intunes. I've literally exhausted all options and nothing is working.

I have the hp pavilon windows 8.1. i'm pretty desperate please help!!!

iPod nano, Windows 8

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 5:39 AM

19 replies

Jan 15, 2014 3:36 PM in response to Kayliababy94

Same thing here. I have been scouring the help sites for 2 days and all this support site says is to follow the steps, which I did also - TWICE. EVERY SUGGESTED STEP. It is very frustrating and it seems over time many people have this problem. I never see anyone following up to say it got fixed. I will watch this discussion to see if you get any productive feedback. I hope so!!!

Jan 16, 2014 2:32 PM in response to Kayliababy94

For my compurter I have a Toshiba Windows 8. So when you state that you deleted all the software do you mean that you uninstalled the program, or did you go and searched for every apple program on your computer and physically delete them? I am get the same message as well stating the device has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. Also when you were on iTunes were you able to access the store because every time it kicks me out of iTunes when I try to access the store.

Jan 16, 2014 4:29 PM in response to Kayliababy94

Kaylia!!!!! It worked!!! You are the bomb. I tried so many different things and the Apple-suggested steps so many times I was at the end of my rope. I was about to go spend money on a new adapter cable thinking that might be the problem. Someone at Apple needs to see this since SO many people experience this problem. Thank You!!! Thank You!!! Thank You!!!!!!!!

Feb 3, 2014 5:19 PM in response to Kayliababy94

I also followed your advice after hours of frustration. Control panal and deleted everything Apple, including Bonjour and Quicktime. Reinstalled iTunes and all appears back to normal. My problems started after an iTunes update I believe. I also installed and allowed Google plus to back up the iPod about the same time. Thanks Kaylia!

Feb 23, 2014 9:28 PM in response to Kayliababy94

THANK YOU, Kayliababy94!

I have been messing around with this ridiculous problem for HOURS, doing all the excruciating steps listed on the Apple "help" pages, and I didn't get anywhere until I uninstalled all the Apple files like you suggested.

Honestly, would it kill someone in the Apple tech support department to add your suggestion to the top of the troubleshooting list? I'm mad I had to come to the "regular people" forums to get any assistance that actually helped!

Anyway, I "liked" your solution, and I hope it helps others as much as it helped me! 🙂

ipod nano has been detected but can not be identified properly. windows 8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.