Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error writing to disk

Error writing to disk:iphoto cannot import your photos because there was a problem writing to the voume containing your iphoto library

iMac

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 6:17 AM

14 replies

Jan 15, 2014 6:52 AM in response to AlexApple1

Yip, that's pretty much a verbatim copy of an error message. Did you have a question? If so:

There are 9 different versions of iPhoto and they run on 9 different versions of the Operating System. The tricks and tips for dealing with issues vary depending on the version of iPhoto and the version of the OS. So to get help you need to give as much information as you can. Include things like:

- What version of iPhoto.

- What version of the Operating System.

- Details. As full a description of the problem as you can. For example, if you have a problem with exporting, then explain by describing how you are trying to export, and so on.

- History: Is this going on long? Has anything been installed or deleted? - Are there error messages?

- What steps have you tried already to solve the issue.

- Anything unusual about your set up? Or how you use iPhoto?

Anything else you can think of that might help someone understand the problem you have.

Feb 5, 2014 7:03 PM in response to Yer_Man

I am having the same problem. I log into iPhoto and it constantly says Error Writing to Disk. Not trying to import anything at all... unless maybe it is trying to import photostream photos. Also my iPhoto library is on my external Seagate library that isnt even close to being full.

I am using the most recent version of iPhoto, OSX, this has been happening for a couple of days now.

Haven't tried any to fix it yet.

Feb 6, 2014 8:40 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence, not sure of the etiquette here but this is similar to what I am experiencing:

CPE: MacBook Pro 5,5 Core2Duo running OSX 10.5.8 with EHD Seagate Backup Plus for MAC (1TB) // NOTE: upon reading the posts above I went to the box and noticed that it states for OSX 10.6.8 or higher.

Problem: I have been dragging and dropping files to the new EHD with no problems until I tried to "export" the original format files from iPhoto '09 v8.1.2(424) where there are approx 20,245 items and at 80some GB. At the point in the transfer of 10,381 and 45.17GB the process fails with an error message to the effect of "Cannot create/Volume/transfer halted" (not exact but essentially what happened).

Questions:

1. Is this an issue with the Export routine and the OSX inconsistency?

2. Can this be resolved with finding the directory the Originals are stored in and simply dragging and dropping like previously?

NOTE: I am much less concerned with organization and such rather simply preserve the original (RAW) files.

Any assistance would be appreciated - Thanks,

Feb 6, 2014 8:57 AM in response to RMS3RD

@RMS3RD

The etiquette (and most practical method) is to start new thread or new questions - mixing several different questions in one thread confuses the original poster, you(the new poster) and the volunteers helping here - not to mention that Treadjacking is a violation of the TOU

The can not create volume is usually caused by one of two things - duplicate file names or missing originals

What version of iPhoto do you have and what are you trying to accomplish - note that drage and drop does not give you the RAW photo - it gives you the current priview with limited metadata

If you want you can copy the originals (or Masters in current versions) folder and move it someplace to make a copy of yoru otiginals photos - no matter what their format -however it is not really a good idea to muck around inside teh iPhto library - it is too easy to destroy your library by makeing small mistakes

LN

Feb 7, 2014 4:11 AM in response to LarryHN

Wow Larry, calm down buddy. Wasn't arguing with you. Was just looking for an explanation on how it worked for so long on an incorrect format. Guess the technical explanation is "Luck". Looks like I will be moving my photo library to a drive that is formatted to Mac OS Extended. Hopefully I am just as lucky with that format for a while. Also guess I am done posting here. Glad to see that if you don't understand something and ask a question about it you get told to stop arguing.

Have a good day Larry. I am off to go argue with more people by asking questions about stuff I do not know.

Feb 7, 2014 10:01 AM in response to khovde08

The EHD you have is essentially a headless computer with its own operating system. That system does not understand the complex relationship between the files in the iPhoto Library, the aliases used and permissions required. Therefore, it can run for a while successfully but can assign the wrong privileges, break alias links etc. at some point and that's the end the library working.

OT

error writing to disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.