Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to left click in Imovie Quicktime and Appstore

Hello i have used mac products for a long time and i have yet to incounter a error like this

when i use my mac normally while at university i can use nearly evry app i can think off word excell itunes skype teamspeak, ect

however when i sat down to edit a video i captured i found out that i am unable to left click in IMoive ,Quciktime and Appstore this makes things rather irritating and impossible to do i can right click however and use the richt click to navagate around but i am unable to do ANYTHING that requires a left click,

i have tried reinstalling the OS i have tried soft resets and hard resets as well as clearning the ram and nothing has worked in fixing this, i have tried going into other apps one after another while imovie is up and i am still able to click and interact with the other apps i have closed all apps and let i movie be the only app active

i would like to point out this isnt a hardwere issue on the trackpad as it works perfectly on evrything else but i beleave that Imovie quicktime and Appstore Might be damaged.

Macbook Pro 10.9.1

also this is the first time i have asked the community for help

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 6:38 AM

12 replies

Jan 15, 2014 7:41 AM in response to BobRz

ok so while in safe mode i tried to open Imovie and each time it tried to open it crashed almost imediatly (bounces on the dock white light under the app, then crash)

after resetting back to normal mode whren i tried imovie again it came back to the same issue of no left clicks 😟

it truely seems right now that Imovie might be broken 😟

Jan 15, 2014 8:07 AM in response to Draco the Ktisune

Do you by any chance have an external mouse you can try?

I'm thinking you've got a few corrupted system files on your machine. Do you have a backup? It might be the only way to fix this is to reinstall the OS. You could boot to the Recovery partition and install on top of your exisiting installation, but that may not fix it. If a clean install is required you'd have to go through Recovery as well, but first wipe the drive with Disk Utility. Either way you'd want a good backup first. It's absolutely necessary for a clean install, and just a good safety net for an in place install.

Jan 15, 2014 8:11 AM in response to BobRz

i have tried a mouse and to reinstall the OS sadly i cant try to completely whipe the HDD but i may try a full whipe and fully clean reinstall in a couple of months when i am able to back up evrything

but i do not think it will work sadly i am going to try as well to leave the computer turned off over a 48 hour period to see if that would help

to anyone who sees this topic in the future please let me know and see if anyone else has had a simmilar issue becuse i do think this could happen again soon 😟

thank you for your help BobRz i hope i can fix this later on 😟

Jan 15, 2014 8:39 AM in response to Draco the Ktisune

Since, like you said, you have already reinstalled the OS (which would reinstall the App Store and QuickTime) and presumably reinstalled iMovie by now, it is probably not the applications. Make a new user on your computer and log into it. Make a quick screen recording with QuickTime and open it up in iMovie and test your left click. If it works, it is probably something wrong with your preference file. Do so by:

Go to Finder > Go > Hold down option and click on Library > Preferences and then delete the following preference files:

com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist

com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist.lockfile

Then, log out and log back into your account and see if it works now.

Unable to left click in Imovie Quicktime and Appstore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.