Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail keeps marking some old messages as unread

Mail seems to think I haven't read about 20 messages that I received a few weeks ago. After marking them read, Mail beeps again about ten minutes later after checking for new mail and says I have about 20 new messages-- the same ones I unchecked 20 minutes earlier. l'm still getting new mail so everything's workoing okay, but this is annoying. I've rebuilt the main IN mailbox and restarted the computer and turned off all my accounts, Cloud, Gmail and one subordinate account, so now have only one working.

What now?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Also G5 with OS 10.5.8

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 9:21 AM

4 replies

Jan 22, 2016 2:42 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

did anyone ever have an answer for why this is? I'm on Mac OS X 10.11.3, and mail continuously marks read messages as unread. sometimes three or four times before it stops and begins to allow the message to "stay read". it's not always the same messages, but it is always the most recent messages. I get a lot of mail, so sometimes its 2 or 3, sometimes its 20 or more. it's neither iCloud or Google, it is just imap.

Jan 23, 2016 11:12 AM in response to Paul Adams5

Hi,

My one thought was that, possibly, something about at least one of the emails was triggering this and it might be better to remove them from the server.

Mail is not really my thing. (the Original Post was marked for the Messages app)

User uploaded file

7:12 pm Saturday; January 23, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

mail keeps marking some old messages as unread

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.