Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage on iPhone Sends as Text Message Only

I've got a problem with iMessage on my iPhone that has me at my wit's end.

Until very recently, I've had no problem with iMessage. It has sent messages to other iOS users within the Apple architecture (blue balloons).

Now, when I type in an iMessage to another iOS or iMessage for Mac user on my iPhone, it initially turns blue as it starts to send. Then, a red exclamation point appears with the words "Not Delivered" appearing then the bubble turns green and it says "Sent as Text Message."

I've tried re-setting iMessage and Facetime by turning them off, re-setting the network connection, then turning iMessage and Facetime back on. I've also restored the iPhone by backing it up, restoring it, then restoring the backup from my Mac.

I haven't installed any iOS updates (I am current at 7.0.4) and I haven't installed any new software.

Any ideas on how I can get iMessage working again? I' don't want to use text messages for my communication with other iOS users!

Thank you!!

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 9:16 AM

9 replies

Feb 4, 2014 2:34 PM in response to David Biddix

I've been having the same problem. I'm also on Verizon, but still using an iPhone 4 with iOS 7.0.4.

This started yesterday with multiple contacts, all also on iPhones (both 4 and 5s). When I try to send a message, the progress bar gets nearly to the end but not quite sent then the red "(!) undelivered" message appears under the blue text bubble. When I try to send again, I get the option to send as a text message. Now even though I get a "delivered" message under the green text bubble, these text messages aren't being received; and apparently I'm not receiving messages either since I just got a call from someone asking "why didn't you reply to the message today?"

I tried logging out of my Apple ID but it seems you can't send iMessages to other iPhone users unless you activate iMessage first. Now that I've logged out, the messaging still isn't working and I can't log back.

I've also tried shutting the iPhone off and restarting. No luck. I'm currently in the process of backing up in order to do a restore (since I'm also getting a "connect to iTunes to use push notifications" when opening almost every app).

iMessage on iPhone Sends as Text Message Only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.