Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nikon D5300 raw images look awful

I have a Nikon D5300 camera and have installed the Digital Camera RAW Comatability Update 5.02 on OS X 10.9.1. When I import RAW images into iPhoto (9.5.1) or view them in Preview they look horribly over exposed or washed out. I have read some others have the same issue with Aperture. When I look at them on the camera or with other software such as Nikon's ViewNX 2, they look fine. If I take jpeg images with the camera they look fine in iPhoto or Preview. Is there a problem with the RAW compatablity for the Nikon D5300? It is listed as being added in the Digital Camera RAW Comatability Update 5.02. These reults are the same for all my MacBook Pro's.

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 12:09 PM

27 replies

Jan 16, 2014 10:11 AM in response to MarkInDavis

Update: I downloaded Adobe DNG Converter. If I use it to convert the raw Nikon files to Adobe DNG format and them import into iPhoto or view with Preview, the raw images look fine. This definitely seems to be a a problem Apple has with reading the raw files (.NEF) from the Nikon D5300. Is there anything I can do besides wait for an another update from Apple for the Digital Camera RAW Compatability?

Jan 17, 2014 10:28 AM in response to Old Toad

I have included a couple screen snapshots of what a photo should look like (converted to Adobe DNG format and imported into iPhoto or viewed with Preview) and what it looks like when directly imported into iPhoto as RAW file or viewed with Preview. I used screen snapshot because the actual photo is rather large. By the way, I have installed the Digital Camera RAW Compatability 5.03 Update and there is no change.

Here is a screen shot of what the image shoud look like:User uploaded file

Here is what the photo looks like in iPhoto or Preview.

User uploaded file

Feb 9, 2014 1:09 PM in response to MarkInDavis

I have the same issue with my D5300 with Aperture, but it doesn't cause me a problem on Preview or iPhoto.

In the two latter apps the NEF files display just fine but in Aperture they are blown way out.

My short term fix is to use iPhoto instead of Aperture. It's annoying because I prefer Aperture and why pay for Aperture when I got iPhoto for free and now can't use Aperture?

I have a fully updated iMac, hoping there's another update for Aperture soon.

Anyone have any ideas why this would only affect Aperture for me and not iPhoto or Preview?

Nikon D5300 raw images look awful

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.