Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I sum highlighted cells?

Is there an easy(ish) formula to have numbers add up only cells which are highlighted a certain color? Or how can I set a color as a condition so I can create a SUMIF function?

OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 12:31 PM

You cannot use color as a condition for a SUMIF. If there is some method behind the colors (such as "all values above 0 are green and all below 0 are red"), you can create a SUMIF using the same methodology. But if you are selectively coloring in cells and there is no pattern to it, you won't be able to create a SUMIF.

Assuming you are manually changing the background color of selected cells, maybe there is another way to get the cells colored in than that. Maybe you could use checkboxes or something that can be picked up by a formula. Without knowing or seeing what you are doing it is hard to tell from here.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2014 12:31 PM in response to bivanov

You cannot use color as a condition for a SUMIF. If there is some method behind the colors (such as "all values above 0 are green and all below 0 are red"), you can create a SUMIF using the same methodology. But if you are selectively coloring in cells and there is no pattern to it, you won't be able to create a SUMIF.

Assuming you are manually changing the background color of selected cells, maybe there is another way to get the cells colored in than that. Maybe you could use checkboxes or something that can be picked up by a formula. Without knowing or seeing what you are doing it is hard to tell from here.

Jan 15, 2014 12:29 PM in response to bivanov

SUMIF can compare content of cells with a fixed value or with the content of another cell to determine whether to include the value in an associated cell in a sum. It cannot detect or compare the format attributes of the cell or of it's content.

You may be able to use the condition controlling the format (fill colour) of these cells to control the content of another cell, then compare the content of that other cell to provide the SUMIF condition.

Further specifics would make a more detailed response possible.

Regards,

Barry

How do I sum highlighted cells?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.