Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi - I have a imac 2010. I wrote an assignment for school, tried uploading it to the blackboard to receive credit. It only shows a link that won't open. I am new to iMac, I am used to microsoft word and compaq computer. I think I wrote it in pages. what t

The blackboard on school site only shows a link, one that does not open. I am new to mac. I am used to word and compaq. I think I wrote it in pages, saved and tried to put on board at school. I will not get credit for this assignment on account of this. Could someone walk me through how to write and assignment save and upload so school can open and view? Thank you. I am used to word and that was simple , this seems difficult or at least confusing.

Thank you

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 1:10 PM

Your school still uses Blackboard? One of the most horrible pieces of software I have encountered in decades!

You uploaded your file as a Pages file.

2 problems with this:

1. Who has Pages to open it with?

2. The new Pages 5 has a weird compressed package format that non-Apple servers can not read properly.

Menu > File > Export > Word

Then drag/attach that into wherever Blackboard accepts eMail or files.

Peter

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2014 1:10 PM in response to bella maria9

Your school still uses Blackboard? One of the most horrible pieces of software I have encountered in decades!

You uploaded your file as a Pages file.

2 problems with this:

1. Who has Pages to open it with?

2. The new Pages 5 has a weird compressed package format that non-Apple servers can not read properly.

Menu > File > Export > Word

Then drag/attach that into wherever Blackboard accepts eMail or files.

Peter

Jan 15, 2014 1:13 PM in response to bella maria9

The document you created automatically saves. And, you get an option on the first save, to save to a location on your computer or to the iCloud. You have to start using File<Export. This gives you options to export the file out as a different version. Now, the link and upload may not be based on your file, but on the browser your using. Safari is a very secure browser, but most companies/institutions still build their websites using PC-web based applications. I would try opening Blackboard with another browser and then, uploading your exported file then. Remember, once you export your file, export it to a location where you can find it. If you export it out as a Word doc, then you may want to open it up as a Word doc on a computer with Microsoft Word. I have actually grown to like Pages, it take getting use to, but usually, it doesn't hang like Word. I use to use Microsoft Word alot, because that is what we were used to, but I became frustrated with the many hangs, and no auto-recovery actually working. I would lose documents in Word, because auto-recovery would return a blank doc. Pages, however, when saved to iCloud, does an automatic backup, place the OS in Mavericks like in the previous have a thing called, "Versions". I can go back to several versions of a Pages document and choose restore, or open it, and copy and paste changes. When you get time, read the Help sections. It is worth it. I hope this helps.

Hi - I have a imac 2010. I wrote an assignment for school, tried uploading it to the blackboard to receive credit. It only shows a link that won't open. I am new to iMac, I am used to microsoft word and compaq computer. I think I wrote it in pages. what t

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.