Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

custom access

I need to change access to my TC disk. it is currently (unknown) R&W and everyone No Access. The disk has been giving me fits for days now, dropping out and very difficult to transfer files off it without dropping out.

Every time I try to add me as a user, I get "The name you entered isn't valid., Try again." Same for group -- cant enter Staff or Admin or nuthing.

The manual is completely useless when it comes to disk problems. Some people actually were dumb enough to use it for network storage besides sparsebundles. I've learned my lesson and will never put anything else on it again -- promise! I just want to get what's on there off.

I set this TC up from my computer and don't understand the "custom" access at all. I do know that if I change the security options, I can't read the disk at all.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 12:18 PM

1 reply

Jan 15, 2014 12:39 PM in response to Jay Gamel

Factory reset the TC. No files are deleted doing that.

But the disk access should return to standard. ie with device password.

User uploaded file

Exactly what OS are you using. Mavericks has certainly made this harder than before.

And where did you copy the files to on the TC?? A folder under data is ok.. but many people manage to copy their files inside the sparsebundle.. and that is a disaster.

You should be able to change permissions on files.. sometimes when you change permissions on a directory it is not carried to the files in the directory.. so you need to change all the files.

It is not something I am used to doing.. so you will need to read around.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10669

In the end you might need to do it from terminal and use super user to fix it.

Most people can read their files btw, so you should be able to copy them off, it is deleting them that doesn't work.

custom access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.