Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to check the number of pixels in a photo

how can i check the number of pixels in photos i have on my mac? thanks for help.

Macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Intel core duo 2.16 GHz 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 6:55 PM

If they're just files in a folder and you're using Finder, right click the picture and choose Get Info. If you're looking in iPhoto, there's an Info button at the lower right that will tell you.

If you have a ton of pictures in folders and you need this info regularly, take a look at Pathfinder. It lists the picture size (like 840 x 600 or whatever) right under the filename. It's like Finder on steroids.

www.cocoatech.com

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2014 6:55 PM in response to Community User

If they're just files in a folder and you're using Finder, right click the picture and choose Get Info. If you're looking in iPhoto, there's an Info button at the lower right that will tell you.

If you have a ton of pictures in folders and you need this info regularly, take a look at Pathfinder. It lists the picture size (like 840 x 600 or whatever) right under the filename. It's like Finder on steroids.

www.cocoatech.com

Jan 16, 2014 8:25 AM in response to Donald Morgan

Hi Bob and Donald, thanks for that, I have found it!. I would like to have more control over what image size i export. I have an image thatis over 3MB and it needs to be under this size to send. If I export it to get it under this, the choice is low, medium,high or maximum. If I choose high it takes the file size right down to 1.1MB which is too low, I need to send as high as possible to keep the detail don't I? thanks for your help. Ill make this a fresh question also!

Jan 19, 2014 5:41 AM in response to Community User

I have an image thatis over 3MB and it needs to be under this size to send writes Denise.

PREVIEW is the ideal program to do this, in about 10 seconds.

Take picture ( in iPhoto or finder ) and drag-drop it in preview

in preview, click "file"

then "save as".

( be sure the format window shows "jpeg" )

Adjust the compression you want with the sliding control ( when you release it, the size of the resulting file is shown, you can reclick and readjust ).

Just add a letter ( or a number ) at the end of the file's name so it will be placed right besides the original ( in iphoto ). Click "save". All this has been done in less than 10 secs.

To compare the two pictures side by side, click on the word "preview" up there, then "preferences" then " open each file in its own window ".

In iphoto pick 2 ( or more ) pictures , drag-drop them in preview. Adjust the sizes of the resulting windows. Zoom each picture independantly .

INFO on each of these pics: click "TOOLS" then "SHOW INSPECTOR" ( note there are 4 "folders" there.The second one will give all the EXIFS of the source camera ).

PREVIEW is a much overlooked and underestimated "app" ! How many Apple fans know you can copy out your dog with it and paste it on a picture of the moon ?

Tip o' the hat to the Apple engineers for this simple, smooth running yet powerful program.

how to check the number of pixels in a photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.