Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant: no estimated time

I hooked up my source iMac to my new destination iMac via firewire/thunderbolt. Both are running the most recent OS, Mavericks. Everything seemed to be running smoothly until I got to the last screen where it says "Continue." The first time, I waited for the "estimated time" to load, but it never loaded and disconnected from the source iMac. The second time, I didn't wait for the estimated time to load and just clicked Continue on both iMacs. The migration seemed to begin on the destination iMac though there is no estimated time for completion displayed. The source iMac logged back in and is just sitting there. The new iMac does say, "Information from XXXXX's iMac" is being transferred to this Mac." But again, no estimated time.

Is anything actually happening? Is the migration hanging? I can't tell if something is or isn't happening. How can I tell without just waiting until the morning to see if the transfer completed??? Surely less than 200 GB won't take all night?

Anyone have any insight? 🙂

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 3:27 PM

10 replies

Jan 15, 2014 4:16 PM in response to BlueMeanie

It would really help all who read your post if you would click on your name and fill everything out so we know exactly what you have and it tells us what we have to work with when answering.It will let you know when it's complete.

Did you connect both machines with Ethernet and did you download Migration Assistant on the computer you are transfering from?

Jan 15, 2014 4:37 PM in response to Donald Morgan

I did say that I'm using two iMacs on the same OS (Mavericks). I don't mean to sound snarky, but it's in the post, and they're not mine, so listing them on my profile didn't occur to me. If it'll help somehow, the source iMac is a Late 2009 model and the new one is the newest iMac available.

It may let me know when it's complete, but from my searches online, most people have had a progress bar or some kind of time estimation. I've got a progress bar that continually displays the (how do I describe this?) candy stripes? They're moving, but no indication of how much data has been moved or how much data is left.

As I said above, I connected the iMacs using Firewire/Thunderbolt. It's Firewire 800 with a Thunderbolt adaptor for the newer iMac. Migration assistant was already on both iMacs. I ran software update on both so they were both matching.

Jan 16, 2014 12:32 PM in response to Donald Morgan

Thank you for the link. Thankfully I already tried everything listed there and with various cables (in case one of mine was faulty).

I ended up spending a great deal of time with Apple Care who also could not get the migration to work. They tried everything I tried and then added everything but with the source in Safe Mode. Still did not work.

At this point, my only option is to backup to Time Machine, and then restore from the backup on the new iMac. Kind of a bummer.

Also, I've never had anything but A+ service from apple care reps, and indeed the first guy was awesome. But the second guy (who was meant to walk me through something complicated) couldn't have been more flippant, rude, and snarky. It made an already frustrating experience worse. Rather disappointing.

Ah well. Here's to hoping this backup from Time Machine goes smoothly 🙂

Migration Assistant: no estimated time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.