Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP!!! Message - (One or more applications are using the iTunes scripting interface. Are you sure you want to quit?) How do I get this to stop?

I bought a new Sony Vaio Laptop running Windows 8, 64bit, i7 processor. Everytime I open iTunes and then close out, the following message occurs: (i-tunes message - One or more applications are using the iTunes scripting interface. Are you sure you want to quit?) Then it starts counting down from 20 seconds unless I just click on the (Quit) button. How do I get this to stop? Please be specific, I am challenged when it comes down to computers.

Thank You

iPhone 4S, Windows 8

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 4:36 PM

12 replies

Jan 15, 2014 5:06 PM in response to sfsmalley

Sony includes some form of media scanning application that has been known to cause problems in the past. Perhaps they are trying to avoid problems by polling iTunes to see if it is running, and thereby creating a different problem. See http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2715

If possible you probably want to prevent the Sony content scanning service from starting up with your computer. I'm sorry I don't have precise details to hand.

tt2

Feb 17, 2014 10:54 AM in response to sfsmalley

This was extremely annoying for me, also. I started uninstalling unneeded Sony applications to try to narrow down the problem. It turned out not to be a Sony application... it is some functionality built into the bluetooth driver software package by Broadcom. Uninstalling the bluetooth package (via the control panel) takes care of the problem. Itunes also boots up way quicker. But uninstalling it will remove features related to bluetooth and nfc. For me, that isn't an issue, since I don't use them. Since you said you're "computer challenged" I would probably just send an email to sony complaining about the problem. They'll get in touch with Broadcom eventually (the manufacture of the drivers) and get the problem fixed.

Side note: the Broadcom package is huge... nearly 1GB in size. Which is crazy. I can't imagine what it does considering the size of it. Entire operating systems can take up less storage. Also, I have no idea how it starts an itunes plugin without placing it into the standard plugin directories.

Sep 8, 2014 10:05 AM in response to sfsmalley

Hey, I think I figured this out. I'm running a sony vaio laptop as well (got it last year), and this problem began a while back (I think maybe with the new iTunes update?). Whatever it is, go do Cntrl+Alt+Del to open up your taskmanager. There should be a tab that says 'startup'. click that, find the sony media check tool on the list, then disable it. It apparently polls whatever removable media you put in to import it. restart, and you should have no problems. hope this helps!

Mar 13, 2015 2:41 AM in response to sfsmalley

In regards to this issue, I have had the same experience. I just recently purchased an Asus Republic of Gaming Desktop (G20-AJ), Windows 8.1, Intel Core i7, 16GB DDR3, 2TB HDD which has the Realtek Bluetooth BTServer Application. I disabled the application within Task Manager>Startup. Then closed all programs & restarted the PC. Once I did that I restarted iTunes 12.1.1 & waited for it to fully start. Once it was running, I quit iTunes. I waited for a few seconds & iTunes DID NOT restart. I then re-enabled the Realtek Bluetooth BTServer Application within Task Manager & restarted the system again. Once I did that, I went back into iTunes & attempted the process again. With much surprise, iTunes didn't restart itself. Thank you SO much to everyone for all your help! Now iTunes is running properly & shuts down when I tell it to! No more shut down/restart of iTunes! 🙂

HELP!!! Message - (One or more applications are using the iTunes scripting interface. Are you sure you want to quit?) How do I get this to stop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.