Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restart Pizmo PowerBook after no power for two years

How to restart Pizmo PowerBook after no power for two years. Not sure if the power brick is putting out

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Not sure if power brick is "bricked

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2014 9:51 AM

Greetings!

While the charging cable is connected, gently lift UP on its connector jack and see lights come on or you get some other indication of charging. These internal connectors take a lot of abuse over time; lifting the connector slightly restores contact temporarily with the power board.

And I'm pretty sure your PRAM battery is bricked too--that can prevent starting. If you decide the power adapter is getting power to the computer, remove the keyboard and locate the PRAM battery cable. It can be seen as the red, white and black cable in the "Step 3" image on this site;

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PowerBook+G3+Pismo+PRAM+Battery+Replacement/21

It connects to the logic board immediately to the left of the right-hand heat shield retaining screw. Disconnect it. With most Pizmos, disconnecting a dead PRAM battery will let them start.

If the comptuer then starts, you need a new PRAM battery. I've bough several G3 powerBook Pram batteries from OWC and they have worked fine. This is their offering for the Pismo:

NewerTech Replacement PRAM/clock battery for all PowerBook G3 Lombard and Firewire/Pismo models

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2014 9:51 AM in response to da sly ed

Greetings!

While the charging cable is connected, gently lift UP on its connector jack and see lights come on or you get some other indication of charging. These internal connectors take a lot of abuse over time; lifting the connector slightly restores contact temporarily with the power board.

And I'm pretty sure your PRAM battery is bricked too--that can prevent starting. If you decide the power adapter is getting power to the computer, remove the keyboard and locate the PRAM battery cable. It can be seen as the red, white and black cable in the "Step 3" image on this site;

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PowerBook+G3+Pismo+PRAM+Battery+Replacement/21

It connects to the logic board immediately to the left of the right-hand heat shield retaining screw. Disconnect it. With most Pizmos, disconnecting a dead PRAM battery will let them start.

If the comptuer then starts, you need a new PRAM battery. I've bough several G3 powerBook Pram batteries from OWC and they have worked fine. This is their offering for the Pismo:

NewerTech Replacement PRAM/clock battery for all PowerBook G3 Lombard and Firewire/Pismo models

Jan 16, 2014 3:51 PM in response to da sly ed

I heard some sort of clicking as if the HD was trying to boot but was not being allowed. So I tried the jiggle power input but no reaction. The PRAM Cable removal did the trick, instant on. I will be ordering another PRAM battery as you suggested.

Thanks

I remembered this solution from some long ago issues but failed to initiate on my own this time.

How to restart Pizmo PowerBook after no power for two years

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.