Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why would Apple allow for someone to "restore" an iPad after entering the wrong passcode 6 times...

Why would Apple allow for someone to "restore" an iPad after entering the wrong passcode 6 times, never linking it to iTunes, never linking it to iCloud, or having no knowledge of any personal security information? Seems like that'd be the definition of a thief... Ultimately, anyone who steals these things WANT it to be restored back to factory settings to customize it themselves. Thankfully for the thieves in this world, Apple has not only made it possible, they've openly posted the information for all to see... Lovely...

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 5:34 PM

5 replies

May 18, 2015 3:18 PM in response to frazzm737

That is not true. If you look up "forgot password" on this discussions from apple, you will find instructions to restore the device back to factory settings, meaning that thieves can restore the iPad without knowing the passcode, user ID and pw of the account tied to that iPad. I just made myself get angry because I've had two iPads stolen. The police didn't want to recognize the location information on Find my iPad although it is possible to see the address where it's at. Now I know why nobody really called back to give my iPads back./

Why would Apple allow for someone to "restore" an iPad after entering the wrong passcode 6 times...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.