Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photoshop CS5.1 suddenly can't save to main hard drive

This is very strange. In Photoshop I suddenly can't save files to the main hard drive on my mac mini. I get the error "Could not save as [filename] because the file is locked or you do not have the necessary access privileges. Use the ‘Get Info’ command in the Finder to unlock the file or change permissions on the file or enclosing folders." I can however save files to the secondary hard drive. Other applications can save to the main hard drive just fine.

As a test, in Photoshop I tried saving to the root of both drives. I get the error only when attempting to save to the main hard drive. I have checked the permissions of both drives and they are identical: system R/W, wheel R/W, and everyone R/W.

I have tried everything I can find on the message boards, but nothing works (disk repair, repair permissions, etc). I have also reinstalled Photoshop and get the same error.

any help much appreciated!

thanks,

JC

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 16, 2014 2:16 AM

6 replies

Jan 16, 2014 8:27 AM in response to jcalvert2

I think I've seen that when Photoshop's preferences get damaged.

Shut down PS and go to the Preferences folder in your user account. Move these items to the desktop:

Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings (which is a folder)

com.adobe.Photoshop.plist

If that doesn't help, then you can put these items back so you don't have to redo all of your personal settings.

Jan 16, 2014 3:17 PM in response to jcalvert2

The problem has resolved itself!

All I did was reboot a few times in my attempts to get Command-R to work (I have a PC keyboard and the "option" and "command" keys are reversed until OS X boots).

Oh, one other thing I did... I logged in as a different user and ran Photoshop and was able to save a file to the main hard drive. Very strange because this guest user has less privilege than my normal login.

wow, I wasted a bunch of time on this one!!

JC

Photoshop CS5.1 suddenly can't save to main hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.