Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Erase all Data from Time Capsule

My ultimate goal is to erase all data from the TC and start over using the TC as a back up device. I deleted all the files on the TC from within Finder but the Get Info button says that I only have 512 MB of available space (capacity is 500 GB).

I went to Disk Utility and tried to Erase disk but I get an error. Next I tried the Erase Free Space option and it said it would take 6 hours. I let it run overnight. When I returned in the morning, it was still running. Two laters it was still running but seemed to be stuck in the same place. So I did a force quit and rebooted.

I think it would be better if I tried to run the Erase program using a wired (ethernet) connection but I don't know how to do that. As soon as I turn off wifi, my iMac cannot find TC. Even though I have an ethernet cable plugged into the TC from my iMac. I think I am configured for Bridge mode.

This is so frusterating. When I go to Network, it says that the Ethernet cable is unplugged?!?! What? I beg to differ. I can confirm that it is snuggly plugged in.

I have an iMac OS 10.7.5 and first gen TC with capacity of 500 GB

My internet is provided by Verizon FIOS and I have a wireless gateway/router thing from them connected to my cable line.

Help!!

Time Capsule-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 16, 2014 5:18 AM

4 replies

Jan 16, 2014 6:08 AM in response to egc_apple

When I go to Network, it says that the Ethernet cable is unplugged?!

If you originally configured the TC to connect to your network using wireless, then the Ethernet ports on the TC are not enabled in that type of setup.

Might this be the case?

I went to Disk Utility and tried to Erase disk but I get an error.

Disk Utility is not used to erase the TC disk. You would use AirPort Utility for this. The Quick Erase option will only take a few minutes using wireless.

Jan 16, 2014 1:51 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks, do you know where I find instructions on how to enable the ethernet TC ports? I assume this can be done without my Verizon modem thing, right? I have hit the reset button on the TC yesterday to see if I could run through the setup again but it only allowed me to do wireless. So I assume there is some other way to allow the ethernet to work. It sounds pretty silly to me that I can't just simply plug the ethernet cord into the TC and my iMac and have just 'connect'!

Airport Utility just has an image of the 'Internet'. It is not helpful at all. There is no option to Erase data that I have seen in that application. Any help there?

Thanks

Jan 16, 2014 2:34 PM in response to egc_apple

I assume this can be done without my Verizon modem thing, right?

No, you would set up the Time Capsule according to the Setup Guide that came with the product. See illustration below. Connect a permanent Ethernet cable from a LAN <-> port on your Verizon modem to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

User uploaded file

Follow the instructions in your Setup Guide to configure the Time Capsule to create a wireless network. The Ethernet ports will be enabled in this setup.

Once the Time Capsule is configured you can use AirPort Utility to erase the Time Capsule, which should only take a few minutes.

Open AirPort Utility, click on the Time Caspule, then click Edit in the small window that appears. Click the Disks tab at the top of the window.

Click Erase Disk, then choose the Quick Erase option and click Erase. This will only take a minute or two and the disk will be erased.

User uploaded file

Unable to Erase all Data from Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.