Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

administrator password is autofilling on restart

Hello,

All of a sudden on restarting my computer the the start up screen loads and the password box starts to auto fill with dots? I then have to delete those dots and type in the correct password to continue the login process. Any ideas what is going on and how I might fix this?

Posted on Jan 16, 2014 6:42 AM

12 replies

Jan 26, 2014 8:40 AM in response to Dennis Dix1

After receiving no help I took the time over the weekend to do a clean install of Maverick and the same thing happened!!! Not sure why but I got the idea to try a different key board and sure enough the auto fill on login stopped! If I plug in the aluminun keyboard that came with My iMac it starts all over but use an older plastic iMac keyboard NO problem. Any ideas on what or why this is happening and only on the password at restart not any other fill in text fields? Also it would have been a great time saver not to reinstalling the operating system for a keyboard glitch.

May 1, 2014 9:20 PM in response to Dennis Dix1

I finally solved the issue regrding the auto filling of the log in and the non functioning letter "z" key. I followed the below link on how to do a clean install of the OS X Maverick and created a bootable hard drive. Note that an 8gb thumb drive isn't enough. I was able to made 2 partition on my 500gb external HD. I alloted 20gb for the OSX installer and the other partition I am using for the back-up of my macbook pro.

Here are the links:

How to clean Install OSX:

http://macpaw.com/support/cleanmymac/knowledgebase/how-to-clean-install-os-x-mav ericks-on-my-mac

How to make a bootable HD

http://osxdaily.com/2013/10/23/create-os-x-mavericks-install-drive/

Again, I used an external HD.

Also, before you perform the installation of the OSX.

Make sure you format the Macintosh HD where you will install the downloaded OSX.

What I did was from, restart, I pressed command R and went to Disk Utility and formated my Macintosh HD which is where you will install the new OSX.

Right after I was able to successfully installed the OSX I only downloaded the apps I needed. Then I made a back-up of my macbook via time machine. Now i will always have fresh back-up in case this happenes again I will just re-imstall the 1st back-up via Tome Machine.

I hope this will solve your issue as it did mine.

May 2, 2014 6:49 AM in response to jayeecordero

I'm glad you where able to fix your problem with a clean install.

I performed a clean install and the problem still happens maybe on 20% of my restarts. I have come to believe it has to due with the keyboard usb connection. Not sure why it use to happen on every restart before the clean install and now only part of the time, so I quess my problem still exist. If I had know to test a different keyboard before the clean install I would not have taken the time and trouble for what is probably a hardware issue.

administrator password is autofilling on restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.