Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I plug my iPhone into my new mac it vibrates constantly?

i got a mac book pro (with retina display) yesterday and today I went to plug my phone in and it vibrates constantly? it goes from being connected to not being connected and it happens in both usb ports..

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Jan 16, 2014 12:03 PM

31 replies

Feb 18, 2017 10:13 PM in response to Rachael214

I just switched to my new mid-2015 MBP 15", and had exactly the same problem trying to sync my iPhone 4S and iPad retina with the new MBP. The MBP would request that I grant permission on the iDevice, but the iDevice would just repeatedly ping/vibrate, without the "Trust this computer?" dialogue box coming up.

The same (non-Apple) USB/30-pin (pre-lightning) cable worked just fine with the few months older MBP 13", but I tried a new (Apple) cable. This worked with the iPhone.

Once the iPhone had sync'ed, I unplugged it and re-plugged it with the non-Apple USB/30-pin cable, and sure enough: the iPhone went back into the pinging frenzy.

Next, try the Apple cable with the iPad… Alas, the iPad continued the pinging frenzy, not even allowing me to "slide to unlock" and of course without the "Trust this computer?" dialogue box… So, I unplugged it, slid to unlock, and then plugged back in — noticing that several icons had the telltale grey outline with the central download-in-progress indicator. Presumably, the iPad had gone into updating apps in the background, and this had taxed it to a point that it wasn't able to put up that "Trust this computer?" dialogue box. So, I waited and about a minute later, the box did pop up; I tapped "Trust" and iTunes started sync'ing while at the same time one after another of the icons are going into the update-in-progress state. During this time, the double-arrow circle in iTunes indicating sync'ing keeps sowing down, then speeding up... Oh, and Photos kept popping up although there are no new pictures to download, so I unchecked the "Open Photos for this device" for the time being.

It seems that the iPad (first with retina screen) gets overwhelmed—in addition to requiring Apple's own cable.

Jan 18, 2014 9:07 AM in response to Rachael214

Hey Rachael214,

Thanks for the question. I understand your iPhone seems to be disconnecting and reconnecting to your MacBook constantly. To troubleshoot this issue, please see the following article:

iOS: Troubleshooting USB connection

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1286

1. Update to the latest version of iTunes.

2. Plug the device directly into a high-power USB 2.0 port on the computer. If possible, use a USB port on the back of the computer.

Avoid plugging the device into a keyboard, display, or standalone hub. The USB ports on these accessories may be low-power or only offer USB 1.x connections.

3. If you are using an accessory, remove the accessory and connect the device to the computer using only the Apple 30-pin to USB Cable or Lightning to USB Cable.

If you have access to additional Apple 30-pin to USB Cable or Lightning to USB Cables, try testing with another if the first one doesn't work.

4. Restart your computer and device. To restart your device:

Hold the power button until "slide to power off" appears. Slide to power off your device. When it is off, press the Sleep/Wake button to turn it back on.

5. Disconnect all USB devices from your computer, except for your keyboard and mouse. Then reconnect the iOS device. If the issue is resolved, reconnect other USB devices, testing after each connection.

If the issue persists and you are using virtualization software to run another operating system alongside Mac OS X, quit that software; it may create virtual USB ports that may be causing the issue. Or you can try to control or restrict access to USB ports while running the virtualization software.

Thanks,

Matt M.

Jul 15, 2014 9:46 AM in response to Rachael214

Hello,

I was having this same problem for the last month. Last night I talked to somebody from apple and they helped me fix it! He said to try resetting the SMC (Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)) and if that didn't work to try resetting the PRAM (OS X Mavericks: Reset your computer’s PRAM. If neither of these work, then it's a problem with the hardware and your laptop has to be taken to an Apple store where they can replace whatever is causing the problem.

Hopefully these work for you, have a great day!

When I plug my iPhone into my new mac it vibrates constantly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.